Re: General

  • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
      So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
      give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

      Leslie Maloney,
      Hampton, VA
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
        In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
        LeslieJ55@... writes:

        > old Mythie feeling lonely

        Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
        there.

        Mary S
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
          LeslieJ55@... wrote:

          > From: LeslieJ55@...
          >
          > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > bohannon@... writes:
          >
          > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
          > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
          > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
          > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
          > >
          > > Blessings,
          > >
          > > Jim Bohannon
          > > Milledgeville, Georgia
          > Jim,
          > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
          >
          > Leslie Maloney
          >
          > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
          > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
          > and some good company.
          > Damn, Virginia is boring.
          >
          > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

          Leslie:

          I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
          maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

          Another aging hobbit
          with a penchant for Earl Grey.
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
            LeslieJ55@... writes:

            > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
            > > MacDonald.

            There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
            simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
            quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
            were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

            Mary S
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
              Mary wrote:

              >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
              >> > MacDonald.
              >
              >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
              >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
              >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
              >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

              It's:

              Johannesen Printing and Publishing
              P.O. Box 24
              Whitethorn, CA 95589

              Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

              Wayne Hammond
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                  Jim Bohannon wrote:

                  > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                  >
                  > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > From: FrMacKen@...
                  > >
                  > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                  > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                  > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                  I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                  so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                  see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                  > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                  > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                  > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                  I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                  Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                  me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                  enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                  De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                  like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                  people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                  far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                  and
                  Dream.* ---djb.

                  > Blessings,
                  > Jim
                • Diane Baker
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                    LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                    > From: LeslieJ55@...
                    >
                    > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                    > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                    >
                    > Leslie Maloney,
                    > Hampton, VA

                    Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                    Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                    Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                    cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                    geography? ---djb.