Re: [mythsoc] Devilled bones/Suppositions

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
      Argh..hope this doesn't show up as a menu item that's
      easily accessible to Mythcon Banquet Food Sculptors at
      a future CSL-specialty- event!

      Maybe Fairy H. & the gang were committing some sort of
      bone-charring procedure & using the ashes as a ritual
      garnish....I wouldn't put it past them. Sounds about
      as esthetic/appetizing as Filostrato's "Art Trees". Or
      Nedlog juice.

      --Bonnie
      ****************

      --- juliet@... wrote:

      > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
      > Foster wrote:
      > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
      > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
      > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
      > bones," which in context
      > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
      > nor Merriam-Webster
      > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
      > query?
      >
      > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
      > breading and frying
      > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
      > and barbecue sauce.
      > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
      > buffalo wings
      > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
      > among their wing
      > recipes.
      >
      > Julie

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
        Hi Mike & MS:

        This message caught my eye. Here's why:

        I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
        found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
        it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
        (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
        gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
        an important tool.)

        The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
        levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
        calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
        day.

        Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
        green Earth
        even as we speak.

        Bonnie
        ************

        --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:

        > I once had an engineering student in an English
        > composition class a few
        > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
        > rule was. It might
        > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
        > I explained how the
        > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
        > askew.

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
          Thanks to Julie. These sound like what are called Buffalo wings--the
          New York northern city, not the bison--inasmuch as fried chicken wings/
          drumsticks then heavily hot-spiced, according to cooks.com.

          --- juliet@firinn. <mailto:juliet%40firinn.org> org wrote:

          > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
          > Foster wrote:
          > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
          > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
          > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
          > bones," which in context
          > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
          > nor Merriam-Webster
          > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
          > query?
          >
          > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
          > breading and frying
          > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
          > and barbecue sauce.
          > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
          > buffalo wings
          > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
          > among their wing
          > recipes.
          >
          > Julie

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
            Bonnie, I've sent this on to my husband the slide rule geek - he may be
            able to give you some more information on it. Perhaps more than you
            want....

            Janet

            ________________________________

            --- Mike Foster <mafoster@... <mailto:mafoster%40hughes.net> >
            wrote:

            > I once had an engineering student in an English
            > composition class a few
            > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
            > rule was. It might
            > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
            > I explained how the
            > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
            > askew.

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
              shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...

              -- Lynn --

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mike & MS:
              >
              > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
              >
              > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
              > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
              > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
              > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
              > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
              > an important tool.)
              >
              > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
              > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
              > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
              > day.
              >
              > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
              > green Earth
              > even as we speak.
              >
              > Bonnie
              > ************
              >

              > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I once had an engineering student in an English
              > > composition class a few
              > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
              > > rule was. It might
              > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
              > > I explained how the
              > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
              > > askew.

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                So did typewriter!

                Janet

                ________________________________

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike & MS:
                >
                > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                >
                > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                > an important tool.)
                >
                > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                > day.
                >
                > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                > green Earth
                > even as we speak.
                >
                > Bonnie
                > ************
                >

                > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                > > composition class a few
                > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                > > rule was. It might
                > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                > > I explained how the
                > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                > > askew.

              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                  > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                  > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                  > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                  > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                  > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                  > an important tool.)

                  In retrospect, it's amazing that anything ever got off the ground, much less went to the Moon!!!!

                  emerdavid

                  PeoplePC Online
                  A better way to Internet
                  http://www.peoplepc.com
                • William Cloud Hicklin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
                    <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                    > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                    > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel,
                    but
                    > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the
                    '50s.
                    > (My father was an aerospace engineer

                    Bonnie, that sounds a lot like the standard military
                    pilot's computer my father had a few of (50s-60s)- I
                    think I still have one somewhere. It was used to
                    calculate time/distance/airspeed/fuel consumption.
                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 20, 2007
                      oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

                      -- Lynn --

                      > So did typewriter!
                      >

                      > Janet
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 23, 2007
                        Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
                        the few occupations open to them!

                        Janet

                        ________________________________

                        "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                        > So did typewriter!
                        >

                        > Janet
                        >
                        > ________________________________
                        >
                        > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
                        >
                        > -- Lynn --
                        >
                        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Mike & MS:
                        > >
                        > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                        > >
                        > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                        > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                        > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                        > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                        > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                        > > an important tool.)
                        > >
                        > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                        > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                        > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                        > > day.
                        > >
                        > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                        > > green Earth
                        > > even as we speak.
                        > >
                        > > Bonnie
                        > > ************
                        > >

                        > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                        > > > composition class a few
                        > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                        > > > rule was. It might
                        > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                        > > > I explained how the
                        > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                        > > > askew.

                      • Bonnie Callahan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
                          Hi Mythconites:

                          You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

                          http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

                          See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie