Re: [mythsoc] Devilled bones

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 17 10:32 AM
      On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
      > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
      > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled bones," which in context
      > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google nor Merriam-Webster
      > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this query?

      I found a few recipes...most seem to involve breading and frying
      chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading and barbecue sauce.
      I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of buffalo wings
      to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones among their wing
      recipes.

      Julie
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18 12:25 AM
        Argh..hope this doesn't show up as a menu item that's
        easily accessible to Mythcon Banquet Food Sculptors at
        a future CSL-specialty- event!

        Maybe Fairy H. & the gang were committing some sort of
        bone-charring procedure & using the ashes as a ritual
        garnish....I wouldn't put it past them. Sounds about
        as esthetic/appetizing as Filostrato's "Art Trees". Or
        Nedlog juice.

        --Bonnie
        ****************

        --- juliet@... wrote:

        > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
        > Foster wrote:
        > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
        > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
        > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
        > bones," which in context
        > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
        > nor Merriam-Webster
        > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
        > query?
        >
        > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
        > breading and frying
        > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
        > and barbecue sauce.
        > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
        > buffalo wings
        > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
        > among their wing
        > recipes.
        >
        > Julie

      • Bonnie Callahan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18 12:34 AM
          Hi Mike & MS:

          This message caught my eye. Here's why:

          I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
          found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
          it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
          (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
          gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
          an important tool.)

          The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
          levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
          calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
          day.

          Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
          green Earth
          even as we speak.

          Bonnie
          ************

          --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:

          > I once had an engineering student in an English
          > composition class a few
          > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
          > rule was. It might
          > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
          > I explained how the
          > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
          > askew.

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18 5:16 AM
            Thanks to Julie. These sound like what are called Buffalo wings--the
            New York northern city, not the bison--inasmuch as fried chicken wings/
            drumsticks then heavily hot-spiced, according to cooks.com.

            --- juliet@firinn. <mailto:juliet%40firinn.org> org wrote:

            > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
            > Foster wrote:
            > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
            > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
            > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
            > bones," which in context
            > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
            > nor Merriam-Webster
            > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
            > query?
            >
            > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
            > breading and frying
            > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
            > and barbecue sauce.
            > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
            > buffalo wings
            > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
            > among their wing
            > recipes.
            >
            > Julie

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18 5:58 AM
              Bonnie, I've sent this on to my husband the slide rule geek - he may be
              able to give you some more information on it. Perhaps more than you
              want....

              Janet

              ________________________________

              --- Mike Foster <mafoster@... <mailto:mafoster%40hughes.net> >
              wrote:

              > I once had an engineering student in an English
              > composition class a few
              > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
              > rule was. It might
              > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
              > I explained how the
              > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
              > askew.

            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 18 12:57 PM
                shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike & MS:
                >
                > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                >
                > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                > an important tool.)
                >
                > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                > day.
                >
                > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                > green Earth
                > even as we speak.
                >
                > Bonnie
                > ************
                >

                > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                > > composition class a few
                > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                > > rule was. It might
                > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                > > I explained how the
                > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                > > askew.

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 18 1:00 PM
                  So did typewriter!

                  Janet

                  ________________________________

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mike & MS:
                  >
                  > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                  >
                  > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                  > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                  > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                  > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                  > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                  > an important tool.)
                  >
                  > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                  > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                  > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                  > day.
                  >
                  > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                  > green Earth
                  > even as we speak.
                  >
                  > Bonnie
                  > ************
                  >

                  > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                  > > composition class a few
                  > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                  > > rule was. It might
                  > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                  > > I explained how the
                  > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                  > > askew.

                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 18 1:41 PM
                    > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                    > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                    > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                    > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                    > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                    > an important tool.)

                    In retrospect, it's amazing that anything ever got off the ground, much less went to the Moon!!!!

                    emerdavid

                    PeoplePC Online
                    A better way to Internet
                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                  • William Cloud Hicklin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19 3:29 PM
                      <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                      > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                      > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel,
                      but
                      > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the
                      '50s.
                      > (My father was an aerospace engineer

                      Bonnie, that sounds a lot like the standard military
                      pilot's computer my father had a few of (50s-60s)- I
                      think I still have one somewhere. It was used to
                      calculate time/distance/airspeed/fuel consumption.
                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 20 3:27 PM
                        oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

                        -- Lynn --

                        > So did typewriter!
                        >

                        > Janet
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 23 6:33 AM
                          Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
                          the few occupations open to them!

                          Janet

                          ________________________________

                          "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                          > So did typewriter!
                          >

                          > Janet
                          >
                          > ________________________________
                          >
                          > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
                          >
                          > -- Lynn --
                          >
                          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Mike & MS:
                          > >
                          > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                          > >
                          > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                          > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                          > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                          > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                          > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                          > > an important tool.)
                          > >
                          > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                          > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                          > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                          > > day.
                          > >
                          > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                          > > green Earth
                          > > even as we speak.
                          > >
                          > > Bonnie
                          > > ************
                          > >

                          > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                          > > > composition class a few
                          > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                          > > > rule was. It might
                          > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                          > > > I explained how the
                          > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                          > > > askew.

                        • Bonnie Callahan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
                            Hi Mythconites:

                            You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

                            http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

                            See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie