Re: [mythsoc] FW: SR A Runic slide rule is now on line

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 17, 2007
      >Ed L. grabbed Derek Ross's YAVSR: Yet Another Virtual Slide Rule,and
      >changed the numerals to a runic font.

      Thus proving once again that some people have Way Too Much Time On Their Hands.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 17, 2007
        I once had an engineering student in an English composition class a few
        years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide rule was. It might
        as well have been runes, for his bemused response. I explained how the
        tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly askew.

        On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
        one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled bones," which in context
        seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google nor Merriam-Webster
        was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this query?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 17, 2007
          On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
          > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
          > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled bones," which in context
          > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google nor Merriam-Webster
          > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this query?

          I found a few recipes...most seem to involve breading and frying
          chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading and barbecue sauce.
          I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of buffalo wings
          to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones among their wing
          recipes.

          Julie
        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
            Argh..hope this doesn't show up as a menu item that's
            easily accessible to Mythcon Banquet Food Sculptors at
            a future CSL-specialty- event!

            Maybe Fairy H. & the gang were committing some sort of
            bone-charring procedure & using the ashes as a ritual
            garnish....I wouldn't put it past them. Sounds about
            as esthetic/appetizing as Filostrato's "Art Trees". Or
            Nedlog juice.

            --Bonnie
            ****************

            --- juliet@... wrote:

            > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
            > Foster wrote:
            > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
            > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
            > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
            > bones," which in context
            > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
            > nor Merriam-Webster
            > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
            > query?
            >
            > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
            > breading and frying
            > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
            > and barbecue sauce.
            > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
            > buffalo wings
            > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
            > among their wing
            > recipes.
            >
            > Julie

          • Bonnie Callahan
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
              Hi Mike & MS:

              This message caught my eye. Here's why:

              I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
              found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
              it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
              (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
              gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
              an important tool.)

              The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
              levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
              calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
              day.

              Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
              green Earth
              even as we speak.

              Bonnie
              ************

              --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:

              > I once had an engineering student in an English
              > composition class a few
              > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
              > rule was. It might
              > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
              > I explained how the
              > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
              > askew.

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                Thanks to Julie. These sound like what are called Buffalo wings--the
                New York northern city, not the bison--inasmuch as fried chicken wings/
                drumsticks then heavily hot-spiced, according to cooks.com.

                --- juliet@firinn. <mailto:juliet%40firinn.org> org wrote:

                > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
                > Foster wrote:
                > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
                > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
                > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
                > bones," which in context
                > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
                > nor Merriam-Webster
                > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
                > query?
                >
                > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
                > breading and frying
                > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
                > and barbecue sauce.
                > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
                > buffalo wings
                > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
                > among their wing
                > recipes.
                >
                > Julie

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                  Bonnie, I've sent this on to my husband the slide rule geek - he may be
                  able to give you some more information on it. Perhaps more than you
                  want....

                  Janet

                  ________________________________

                  --- Mike Foster <mafoster@... <mailto:mafoster%40hughes.net> >
                  wrote:

                  > I once had an engineering student in an English
                  > composition class a few
                  > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                  > rule was. It might
                  > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                  > I explained how the
                  > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                  > askew.

                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                    shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Mike & MS:
                    >
                    > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                    >
                    > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                    > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                    > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                    > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                    > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                    > an important tool.)
                    >
                    > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                    > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                    > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                    > day.
                    >
                    > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                    > green Earth
                    > even as we speak.
                    >
                    > Bonnie
                    > ************
                    >

                    > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                    > > composition class a few
                    > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                    > > rule was. It might
                    > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                    > > I explained how the
                    > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                    > > askew.

                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                      So did typewriter!

                      Janet

                      ________________________________

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Mike & MS:
                      >
                      > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                      >
                      > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                      > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                      > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                      > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                      > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                      > an important tool.)
                      >
                      > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                      > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                      > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                      > day.
                      >
                      > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                      > green Earth
                      > even as we speak.
                      >
                      > Bonnie
                      > ************
                      >

                      > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                      > > composition class a few
                      > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                      > > rule was. It might
                      > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                      > > I explained how the
                      > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                      > > askew.

                    • David Emerson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 18, 2007
                        > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                        > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                        > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                        > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                        > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                        > an important tool.)

                        In retrospect, it's amazing that anything ever got off the ground, much less went to the Moon!!!!

                        emerdavid

                        PeoplePC Online
                        A better way to Internet
                        http://www.peoplepc.com
                      • William Cloud Hicklin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
                          <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                          > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                          > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel,
                          but
                          > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the
                          '50s.
                          > (My father was an aerospace engineer

                          Bonnie, that sounds a lot like the standard military
                          pilot's computer my father had a few of (50s-60s)- I
                          think I still have one somewhere. It was used to
                          calculate time/distance/airspeed/fuel consumption.
                        • Lynn Maudlin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 20, 2007
                            oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

                            -- Lynn --

                            > So did typewriter!
                            >

                            > Janet
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 23, 2007
                              Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
                              the few occupations open to them!

                              Janet

                              ________________________________

                              "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                              > So did typewriter!
                              >

                              > Janet
                              >
                              > ________________________________
                              >
                              > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
                              >
                              > -- Lynn --
                              >
                              > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                              <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Mike & MS:
                              > >
                              > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                              > >
                              > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                              > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                              > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                              > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                              > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                              > > an important tool.)
                              > >
                              > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                              > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                              > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                              > > day.
                              > >
                              > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                              > > green Earth
                              > > even as we speak.
                              > >
                              > > Bonnie
                              > > ************
                              > >

                              > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                              > > > composition class a few
                              > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                              > > > rule was. It might
                              > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                              > > > I explained how the
                              > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                              > > > askew.

                            • Bonnie Callahan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
                                Hi Mythconites:

                                You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

                                http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

                                See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie