FW: SR A Runic slide rule is now on line

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16 12:03 PM
      For all those who are geeks in multiple areas...

      Janet

      From: "Edward Anderson" <jotun_hertigen@...>
      To: sliderule@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: SR A Runic slide rule is now on line
      Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:36:23 -0000

      Finally Norsemen, Vikings, and others who can read runes (and who
      have internet access), have available to them a virtual slide rule
      that they can use to do their trigonometric problems with.

      Ed L. grabbed Derek Ross's YAVSR: Yet Another Virtual Slide Rule,and
      changed the numerals to a runic font.

      The slide rule that both virtual slide rules are based on is the
      Pickett Companies model N600-ES. The Picket Company was Chicago
      based. Their model N600-ES went aboard five (5) Apollo space flights
      as standard and critical equipment. The N600-ES was landed on the
      Moon and returned. Though probably it was not the only slide rule
      model that went to the Moon.

      I hope this virtual Runic slide rule will be a great help to Norsemen
      everywhere in plotting courses to navigate their longships.

      Try it out at the link below. Click on the center bar and the slide
      rule's cursor with your mouse. They both move, just like the real
      slide rule does.

      Edward A. Anderson II

      The runic slide rule:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~apendragn/runish/sliderule/index.html

      Derek Ross's virtual slide rule Chicago's Pickett Company's model
      N600-ES Log-Log Speed Rule
      http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/virtual-slide-rule.html

      An article on the Pentimal numbering system which is another
      numbering system which was also used by the Runic reading
      Scandinavians:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentimal_system

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 16 1:05 PM
        I have absolutely no clue how to use a slide rule, but I still thought this was wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

        Jason

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 16 6:40 PM
          I just love the idea of rune-reading Norsemen with internet access
          needing a slide rule... Hey, it could happen!

          -- Lynn --

          > The runic slide rule:
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~apendragn/runish/sliderule/index.html
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 17 9:30 AM
            >I just love the idea of rune-reading Norsemen with internet access
            >needing a slide rule... Hey, it could happen!

            I'm remembering all those science fiction stories from the 40's and 50's featuring starship engineers calculating their next space-warp jumps with their slide rules.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 17 9:32 AM
              >Ed L. grabbed Derek Ross's YAVSR: Yet Another Virtual Slide Rule,and
              >changed the numerals to a runic font.

              Thus proving once again that some people have Way Too Much Time On Their Hands.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 17 10:11 AM
                I once had an engineering student in an English composition class a few
                years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide rule was. It might
                as well have been runes, for his bemused response. I explained how the
                tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly askew.

                On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
                one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled bones," which in context
                seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google nor Merriam-Webster
                was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this query?

                Mike

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 17 10:32 AM
                  On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
                  > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
                  > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled bones," which in context
                  > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google nor Merriam-Webster
                  > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this query?

                  I found a few recipes...most seem to involve breading and frying
                  chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading and barbecue sauce.
                  I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of buffalo wings
                  to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones among their wing
                  recipes.

                  Julie
                • Bonnie Callahan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 18 12:25 AM
                    Argh..hope this doesn't show up as a menu item that's
                    easily accessible to Mythcon Banquet Food Sculptors at
                    a future CSL-specialty- event!

                    Maybe Fairy H. & the gang were committing some sort of
                    bone-charring procedure & using the ashes as a ritual
                    garnish....I wouldn't put it past them. Sounds about
                    as esthetic/appetizing as Filostrato's "Art Trees". Or
                    Nedlog juice.

                    --Bonnie
                    ****************

                    --- juliet@... wrote:

                    > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
                    > Foster wrote:
                    > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
                    > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
                    > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
                    > bones," which in context
                    > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
                    > nor Merriam-Webster
                    > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
                    > query?
                    >
                    > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
                    > breading and frying
                    > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
                    > and barbecue sauce.
                    > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
                    > buffalo wings
                    > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
                    > among their wing
                    > recipes.
                    >
                    > Julie

                  • Bonnie Callahan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 18 12:34 AM
                      Hi Mike & MS:

                      This message caught my eye. Here's why:

                      I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                      found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                      it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                      (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                      gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                      an important tool.)

                      The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                      levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                      calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                      day.

                      Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                      green Earth
                      even as we speak.

                      Bonnie
                      ************

                      --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:

                      > I once had an engineering student in an English
                      > composition class a few
                      > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                      > rule was. It might
                      > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                      > I explained how the
                      > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                      > askew.

                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 18 5:16 AM
                        Thanks to Julie. These sound like what are called Buffalo wings--the
                        New York northern city, not the bison--inasmuch as fried chicken wings/
                        drumsticks then heavily hot-spiced, according to cooks.com.

                        --- juliet@firinn. <mailto:juliet%40firinn.org> org wrote:

                        > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Mike
                        > Foster wrote:
                        > > On another topic, I've just been re-rereading THAT
                        > HIDEOUS STRENGTH. At
                        > > one point, Fairy Hardcastle refers to "devilled
                        > bones," which in context
                        > > seems like some sort of foodstuff. Neither Google
                        > nor Merriam-Webster
                        > > was any help. Can anyone on the line answer this
                        > query?
                        >
                        > I found a few recipes...most seem to involve
                        > breading and frying
                        > chicken wings and drumsticks with a spicy breading
                        > and barbecue sauce.
                        > I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a relative of
                        > buffalo wings
                        > to me! In fact, cooks.com lists devilled bones
                        > among their wing
                        > recipes.
                        >
                        > Julie

                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 18 5:58 AM
                          Bonnie, I've sent this on to my husband the slide rule geek - he may be
                          able to give you some more information on it. Perhaps more than you
                          want....

                          Janet

                          ________________________________

                          --- Mike Foster <mafoster@... <mailto:mafoster%40hughes.net> >
                          wrote:

                          > I once had an engineering student in an English
                          > composition class a few
                          > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                          > rule was. It might
                          > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                          > I explained how the
                          > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                          > askew.

                        • Lynn Maudlin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 18 12:57 PM
                            shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...

                            -- Lynn --

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Mike & MS:
                            >
                            > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                            >
                            > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                            > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                            > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                            > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                            > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                            > an important tool.)
                            >
                            > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                            > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                            > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                            > day.
                            >
                            > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                            > green Earth
                            > even as we speak.
                            >
                            > Bonnie
                            > ************
                            >

                            > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                            > > composition class a few
                            > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                            > > rule was. It might
                            > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                            > > I explained how the
                            > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                            > > askew.

                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 18 1:00 PM
                              So did typewriter!

                              Janet

                              ________________________________

                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Mike & MS:
                              >
                              > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                              >
                              > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                              > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                              > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                              > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                              > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                              > an important tool.)
                              >
                              > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                              > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                              > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                              > day.
                              >
                              > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                              > green Earth
                              > even as we speak.
                              >
                              > Bonnie
                              > ************
                              >

                              > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                              > > composition class a few
                              > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                              > > rule was. It might
                              > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                              > > I explained how the
                              > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                              > > askew.

                            • David Emerson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 18 1:41 PM
                                > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                                > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                                > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                                > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                                > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                                > an important tool.)

                                In retrospect, it's amazing that anything ever got off the ground, much less went to the Moon!!!!

                                emerdavid

                                PeoplePC Online
                                A better way to Internet
                                http://www.peoplepc.com
                              • William Cloud Hicklin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 19 3:29 PM
                                  <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                                  > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                                  > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel,
                                  but
                                  > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the
                                  '50s.
                                  > (My father was an aerospace engineer

                                  Bonnie, that sounds a lot like the standard military
                                  pilot's computer my father had a few of (50s-60s)- I
                                  think I still have one somewhere. It was used to
                                  calculate time/distance/airspeed/fuel consumption.
                                • Lynn Maudlin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 20 3:27 PM
                                    oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

                                    -- Lynn --

                                    > So did typewriter!
                                    >

                                    > Janet
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Croft, Janet B.
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 23 6:33 AM
                                      Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
                                      the few occupations open to them!

                                      Janet

                                      ________________________________

                                      "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                                      > So did typewriter!
                                      >

                                      > Janet
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________
                                      >
                                      > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
                                      >
                                      > -- Lynn --
                                      >
                                      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                      > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Mike & MS:
                                      > >
                                      > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
                                      > >
                                      > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
                                      > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
                                      > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
                                      > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
                                      > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
                                      > > an important tool.)
                                      > >
                                      > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
                                      > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
                                      > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
                                      > > day.
                                      > >
                                      > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
                                      > > green Earth
                                      > > even as we speak.
                                      > >
                                      > > Bonnie
                                      > > ************
                                      > >

                                      > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
                                      > > > composition class a few
                                      > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
                                      > > > rule was. It might
                                      > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
                                      > > > I explained how the
                                      > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
                                      > > > askew.

                                    • Bonnie Callahan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
                                        Hi Mythconites:

                                        You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

                                        http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

                                        See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie