RE: [mythsoc] Fairly new book on Jackson's LotR

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16 6:49 AM
      No, it doesn't look like FHTH cites the Mythopoeic Press's Tolkien on
      Film or any of the essays in it. Looking it over, it's almost entirely
      film-centric. The contributors are primarily from film studies
      programs, not literature programs as ours were - not a single name I
      recognize. And I have to say it's poorly edited - for example, the
      works cited section inconsistently lists some authors by first name
      first and includes one entry for "Anonymous" when all other papers
      without authors are listed properly by title, and the error of "Chalky
      and Company" for Kipling's "Stalky and Co." (both in the text and in the
      index) leapt out at me. There's very little in the way of strictly
      Tolkien scholarship listed in the bibliography - just a few books like
      Chance, Carpenter, Lin Carter (!), Shippey. Oh, and the notorious
      Partridge essay "No Sex, Please-- We're Hobbits."

      I just glanced at the review in Tolkien Studies. The reviewer didn't
      think too highly of it. She didn't like Tolkien on Film much either,
      but I think she was looking for something more film-centric than what we
      did. But I have to agree with her on this one. Perhaps it's a point in
      our favor that OU's copy of this book has never gone out, but ToF has
      gone out at least twice.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
      meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett