Re: "athelas" and "orgel"

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
      >>"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

      >>>---"Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@> wrote:
      >>>So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved etymology ...?

      >> It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that the etymology isn't
      unresolved, either, although the note in question...

      Thanks very much for that explanation.

      >>...it wouldn't be the only time OE found its way into the Elvish
      tongues: see CT's note on Orgel in Children of Hurin...

      I can't find Orgel in the list of names at the back of _The Children
      of Hurin_ -- which character is that?

      Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is right that it
      was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
        DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

        > Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is
        right that it
        > was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?

        Well, look at it from the perspective of CRT's
        purpose in publishing CoH. He very openly intended
        it to serve as a bridge to The Silmarillion for
        readers of The Lord of the Rings. Not direct to
        HoME! Thus in this one case consistency overrode
        what was generally his 'extreme scrupulosity' in not
        altering the Narn papers at all beyond, in effect,
        copy-editing. (He was fortunate in the fact that the
        Narn papers, to all appearances, predate the 1958-60
        writings which underly so many 'canonicity' debates).