Re: Fairly new book on Jackson's LotR

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
      >>"Joe R. Christopher" <jchristopher@...> wrote:
      >>I find a listing for _From Hobbits to Hollywood: Essays on Peter
      Jackson's "Lord of the Rings"_, ed. Ernest Mathijs and Murray
      Pomerance. New York and Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006. Contemporary Cinema
      series 3. "Written by leading scholars in the study of cinema and
      culture _From Hobbits to Hollywood_ gives Jackson's trilogy the
      fullest scholar interrogation to date."

      I haven't read it, but there is a fairly detailed review by Kristin
      Thompson of that book and _The Lord of the Rings: Popular Culture in
      Global Context_, also edited by Mathijs (London: Walflower Press,
      2006), in the latest volume of _Tolkien Studies_ (pp. 244-254).
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2007
        No, it doesn't look like FHTH cites the Mythopoeic Press's Tolkien on
        Film or any of the essays in it. Looking it over, it's almost entirely
        film-centric. The contributors are primarily from film studies
        programs, not literature programs as ours were - not a single name I
        recognize. And I have to say it's poorly edited - for example, the
        works cited section inconsistently lists some authors by first name
        first and includes one entry for "Anonymous" when all other papers
        without authors are listed properly by title, and the error of "Chalky
        and Company" for Kipling's "Stalky and Co." (both in the text and in the
        index) leapt out at me. There's very little in the way of strictly
        Tolkien scholarship listed in the bibliography - just a few books like
        Chance, Carpenter, Lin Carter (!), Shippey. Oh, and the notorious
        Partridge essay "No Sex, Please-- We're Hobbits."

        I just glanced at the review in Tolkien Studies. The reviewer didn't
        think too highly of it. She didn't like Tolkien on Film much either,
        but I think she was looking for something more film-centric than what we
        did. But I have to agree with her on this one. Perhaps it's a point in
        our favor that OU's copy of this book has never gone out, but ToF has
        gone out at least twice.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
        meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett

        ________________________________

        I find a listing for _From Hobbits to Hollywood: Essays on Peter
        Jackson's
        "Lord of the Rings"_, ed. Ernest Mathijs and Murray Pomerance. New York
        and
        Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006. Contemporary Cinema series 3. "Written by
        leading scholars in the study of cinema and culture _From Hobbits to
        Hollywood_ gives Jackson's trilogy the fullest scholar interrogation to
        date." Janet, the book you edited got out the previous year. Any
        citations in FHtH of yours?

        --Joe