Re: [mythsoc] Language?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2007
      Sorry, that last message wasn't supposed to go out. I was going to say that
      I tried some online language identification systems. They said the closest
      languages were Slovak or Slovenian. Those languages weren't very close
      though, so I decided not to waste your time with that trivial a remark, so I
      thought I hit the button to not send it out. Unfortunately, I must have hit the
      wrong button, so I ended up wasting your time anyway.

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2007
        > I'm still worrying about Anthony Boucher's references to Groznia as a
        > country, which I wrote about earlier. It is a fictional Balkan country,
        > and one speaker says, "Dobru din, Grigoru. Prihud so min." That means,
        > "Good morning, Gregory. Come with me." Can anyone identify the
        > language? (It might be Russian, it might be invented, it might be
        > something else.)

        Just adding to what Wendell said, it looks close to Slovenian, Serbo-Croatian, Russian, etc. -- close enough that it could be a real language or dialect in the Slavic family. Or it could be an invention based on them (a little like Anthony Burgess's Nadsat). I'll ask Mark Hooker about it and see what he says. He's speaks Russian and is well enough versed in Bulgarian, Czech, Polish, etc., that I think he might be of some help here, but he doesn't monitor this list.

        Jason Fisher

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
          > I'm still worrying about Anthony Boucher's references to Groznia as a

          > country, which I wrote about earlier. It is a fictional Balkan country,

          > and one speaker says, "Dobru din, Grigoru. Prihud so min." That means,

          > "Good morning, Gregory. Come with me." Can anyone identify the

          > language? (It might be Russian, it might be invented, it might be

          > something else.)

          Just adding to what Wendell said, it looks close to Slovenian, Serbo-Croatian, Russian, etc. -- close enough that it could be a real language or dialect in the Slavic family. Or it could be an invention based on them (a little like Anthony Burgess's Nadsat). I'll ask Mark Hooker about it and see what he says. He's speaks Russian and is well enough versed in Bulgarian, Czech, Polish, etc., that I think he might be of some help here, but he doesn't monitor this list.

          Jason Fisher

          _,_._,___

          <<

          Russian, of course, is my native language, and I can assure you that the phrases quoted aren't Russian,
          nor do they correspond exactly to any other Slavic language known to me. However, they're perfectly
          intelligible for any speaker of any Slavic language. I suspect Boucher simply tweaked some real Slavic-
          language phrases to make them look like a distinct but related language.
          ?? In a way, it reminds me of the "generic Slavic" I used to speak with a group of students from various other
          Slavic countries when I was at college. Each of us would basically be speaking his own language, but toning down
          those aspects of it he knew would be hardest to understand for speakers of the others. The result sounded more
          like Slovak than anything else.
          ? In actual Russian, the "Groznian" phrases would translate as'
          ? Dobryj d'en', Grigorij. Prijdi so mnoj.
          Alexei

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
            Mark Hooker's thoughts. Basically, in agreement with Alexei, but with a little bit more detail, if it's of interest.

            Jason

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2007
              Alexei might know. He's quite the polyglot. ---djb