Fairly new book on Jackson's LotR

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2007
      I find a listing for _From Hobbits to Hollywood: Essays on Peter Jackson's
      "Lord of the Rings"_, ed. Ernest Mathijs and Murray Pomerance. New York and
      Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006. Contemporary Cinema series 3. "Written by
      leading scholars in the study of cinema and culture _From Hobbits to
      Hollywood_ gives Jackson's trilogy the fullest scholar interrogation to
      date." Janet, the book you edited got out the previous year. Any
      citations in FHtH of yours?

      --Joe
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
        >>"Joe R. Christopher" <jchristopher@...> wrote:
        >>I find a listing for _From Hobbits to Hollywood: Essays on Peter
        Jackson's "Lord of the Rings"_, ed. Ernest Mathijs and Murray
        Pomerance. New York and Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006. Contemporary Cinema
        series 3. "Written by leading scholars in the study of cinema and
        culture _From Hobbits to Hollywood_ gives Jackson's trilogy the
        fullest scholar interrogation to date."

        I haven't read it, but there is a fairly detailed review by Kristin
        Thompson of that book and _The Lord of the Rings: Popular Culture in
        Global Context_, also edited by Mathijs (London: Walflower Press,
        2006), in the latest volume of _Tolkien Studies_ (pp. 244-254).
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2007
          No, it doesn't look like FHTH cites the Mythopoeic Press's Tolkien on
          Film or any of the essays in it. Looking it over, it's almost entirely
          film-centric. The contributors are primarily from film studies
          programs, not literature programs as ours were - not a single name I
          recognize. And I have to say it's poorly edited - for example, the
          works cited section inconsistently lists some authors by first name
          first and includes one entry for "Anonymous" when all other papers
          without authors are listed properly by title, and the error of "Chalky
          and Company" for Kipling's "Stalky and Co." (both in the text and in the
          index) leapt out at me. There's very little in the way of strictly
          Tolkien scholarship listed in the bibliography - just a few books like
          Chance, Carpenter, Lin Carter (!), Shippey. Oh, and the notorious
          Partridge essay "No Sex, Please-- We're Hobbits."

          I just glanced at the review in Tolkien Studies. The reviewer didn't
          think too highly of it. She didn't like Tolkien on Film much either,
          but I think she was looking for something more film-centric than what we
          did. But I have to agree with her on this one. Perhaps it's a point in
          our favor that OU's copy of this book has never gone out, but ToF has
          gone out at least twice.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
          meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett