Tolkien in Ireland Query

  • Michael Cunningham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2007
      Hello,

      I hope this finds the list well. I wondered if Tolkien ever had occasion to visit Northern Ireland and if so is it documented anywhere. I know he visited Eire but I'm not sure if he ventured north; especially given his friendship with Lewis.

      Many thanks,
      Michael

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2007
        Michael wrote:

        >I hope this finds the list well. I wondered if Tolkien ever had occasion
        >to visit Northern Ireland and if so is it documented anywhere. I know he
        >visited Eire but I'm not sure if he ventured north; especially given his
        >friendship with Lewis.

        In our research for _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, we found no
        evidence that Tolkien ever visited Northern Ireland.

        Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond

      • Sara Ciborski
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2007
          The Scull and Hammond J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide is a wonderful
          resource for answering questions like this. The entry for Ireland in the
          Reader's Guide quotes a letter he wrote in 1971 that says he has never
          been in the North.
          Sara Ciborski

          Michael Cunningham wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I hope this finds the list well. I wondered if Tolkien ever had occasion to visit Northern Ireland and if so is it documented anywhere. I know he visited Eire but I'm not sure if he ventured north; especially given his friendship with Lewis.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Michael

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
            >From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>
            >
            >In our research for _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, we found no
            >evidence that Tolkien ever visited Northern Ireland.

            But he could have snuck over, wearing a black ski mask in the dead of night, on a secret mission for a covert group of Oxford radicals, wearing a black ski mask in the dead of night.

            Or not.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet