Re: "Sources of Lord of the Rings, Series I"

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
      > It's an interesting marketing campaign [...]

      Yes, and probably nothing more than marketing. To try to point to The Worm Ouroboros as a genuine *source* for The Lord of the Rings and The Children of Húrin would be pretty rough sledding.

      Jason

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
        At 07:59 AM 7/12/2007 -0700, Jason Fisher wrote:

        >> It's an interesting marketing campaign [...]
        >
        >Yes, and probably nothing more than marketing. To try to point to The Worm
        >Ouroboros as a genuine *source* for The Lord of the Rings and The Children
        >of Húrin would be pretty rough sledding.

        It has, however, been tried. I've seen an article on Eddison discussing
        his relation to Tolkien. The writer states that the archaisms in LOTR
        increase markedly at just the time where, in the writing, Tolkien heard
        Eddison read to the Inklings. The writer then claims that this is due to
        Tolkien being madly jealous of Eddison for having thought of it first.

        Now, there are about five obvious problems with this supposition, and
        several people including myself wrote in, pointing these out. The writer's
        response was that if he got so many Tolkien fans mad, he must have struck a
        nerve - i.e. his argument must be true.

        I figured that - like the famous Peake fans who are angry at Tolkien for
        the crime of being more popular than Peake - he's just an Eddison fan who's
        angry at Tolkien for the crime of being more popular than Eddison, and at
        this point wrote the guy off as terminally ignorant and addled.
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2007
          I love that argument: "because you don't agree with me, I MUST be
          right!" Nuthin' like an agenda to improve scholarship, eh?!

          -- Lynn --