Re: very silly stuff

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 11 8:22 PM
      OMG, Dr John, that is *screamingly* funny! And I've
      been that DM, too.
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 15 8:21 AM
        >>"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

        >>>---"Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@> wrote:
        >>>So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved etymology ...?

        >> It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that the etymology isn't
        unresolved, either, although the note in question...

        Thanks very much for that explanation.

        >>...it wouldn't be the only time OE found its way into the Elvish
        tongues: see CT's note on Orgel in Children of Hurin...

        I can't find Orgel in the list of names at the back of _The Children
        of Hurin_ -- which character is that?

        Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is right that it
        was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?
      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 15 12:45 PM
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
          DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

          > Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is
          right that it
          > was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?

          Well, look at it from the perspective of CRT's
          purpose in publishing CoH. He very openly intended
          it to serve as a bridge to The Silmarillion for
          readers of The Lord of the Rings. Not direct to
          HoME! Thus in this one case consistency overrode
          what was generally his 'extreme scrupulosity' in not
          altering the Narn papers at all beyond, in effect,
          copy-editing. (He was fortunate in the fact that the
          Narn papers, to all appearances, predate the 1958-60
          writings which underly so many 'canonicity' debates).