"Sources of Lord of the Rings, Series I"/Narnia remaindered

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
      Am I the only one who got this message? It's an interesting marketing
      campaign, and Eddison's WORM certainly qualifies, but I wonder what
      else they'll include in this "Series", assuming it ever extends
      beyond the one book.
      --JDR
      > Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,
      >
      > As someone who has expressed interest in books by E., R. Eddison,
      > you might like to know that Sources of Lord of the Rings and The
      > Children of Hurin by J.R.R.Tolkien, Series I, The: The Worm
      > Ouroboros is now available. You can order your copy for just
      > £24.99 by following the link below.
      > "The Sources of Lord of the Rings and The Children of Hurin by
      > J.R.R.Tolkien, Series I : The Worm Ouroboros J.R.R. Tolkien's books
      > did not come out of thin air. Tolkien, an academic linguist, drew
      > on the following source materials to inspire him. The Worm
      > Ourorobos by E.R. Eddison is second only to the Lord of the Rings
      > in the pantheon of 20th century English fantasy. E.R. Eddison, who
      > moved in the same literary circles as Tolkien, was praised by
      > Tolkien as "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented
      > worlds' that I have read". The Worm Ouroboros is a thoroughly
      > enjoyable book which will satisfy anyone who has finished the Lord
      > of the Rings and wants to discover a new universe."

      In other news, I saw Narnia remaindered yesterday. It's not just
      remaindered, it's out-on-the-sidewalk in-front-of-the-store
      remaindered. Basically four of the volumes in trade paperback were
      going for $3.99 each, while two different quite nice oversized format
      hardcovers of LWW (at least one with color Pauline Baynes
      illustrations) were going for $4.99 each. Alas.
      --JDR

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff
        <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        > Am I the only one who got this message? It's an
        interesting marketing
        > campaign, and Eddison's WORM certainly qualifies,
        but I wonder what
        > else they'll include in this "Series", assuming it
        ever extends
        > beyond the one book.
        > --JDR
        > > Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

        Probably Morris' romances (although they're
        available elsewhere). The one I would really want to
        see though is Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
          In a message dated 7/11/2007 8:58:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          sacnoth@... writes:

          > As someone who has expressed interest in books by E., R. Eddison,
          > you might like to know that Sources of Lord of the Rings and The
          > Children of Hurin by J.R.R.Tolkien, Series I, The: The Worm
          > Ouroboros is now available. You can order your copy for just
          > £24.99 by following the link below.

          I wonder if the series is going to be all the books from this webpage:

          _http://www.sacred-texts.com/ring/index.htm_
          (http://www.sacred-texts.com/ring/index.htm)

        • Kim Jaudon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
            Wow. That's quite a list of texts. And there, among Judaism, Mormonism, Theosophy, and Zoroastrianism is...Tolkien. He and Shakespeare appear to be the only individual writers (unless you count Buddha and Confucius) to have made the list. And, I'm not so sure about Shakespeare.

            Kim