very silly stuff

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
      Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
      Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
      numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
      D&D adventure.

      http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

      The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
      installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
      Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
      far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
      presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
      by narrator inattention:

      http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148

      So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
      see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.

      --John R.
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
        Perhaps it would have been more accurate for him to have written "one
        of the most widely KNOWN invented languages", since a great many
        people know about it and may even have some idea how it looks and
        sounds, but they can't actually read or write it. So its recognition
        threshold is high, though its mastery is extremely low.
        --JDR

        On Jul 8, 2007, at 10:32 PM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> John Gravois, the author of the article linked to, writes:
        >>
        >> "Elvish, a language created by Tolkien, is one of the most widely
        >> spoken invented languages — along with Esperanto and Klingon."
        >>
        >> Let's see: Esperanto is spoken by between 100,000 and 2 million
        >> people (according to Wikipedia). Klingon is probably spoken (slowly,
        >> I'm sure; as opposed to simply being written, slowly) by no more than
        >> a few dozen people. And precisely no one speaks "Elvish", either
        >> Quenya or Sindarin (not even Tolkien could do so casually).
        >>
        >> "Elvish" can certainly be classified with Klingon in terms of _the
        >> number of people who study it_ (but can't actually speak it
        >> casually). But both are surely dwarfed by even the most conservative
        >> estimate of those who actually can and do speak Esperanto.
        >>
        >> Carl
        >
        > Not to mention Volapuk...! But really, Carl, we're supposed to infer
        > what he *means* and not simply understand what he said... [eye-
        > rolling]
        >
        > -- Lynn --
      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff
          <sacnoth@...> wrote:

          > Perhaps it would have been more accurate for him to
          have written
          "one
          > of the most widely KNOWN invented languages", since
          a great many
          > people know about it and may even have some idea
          how it looks and
          > sounds, but they can't actually read or write it.
          So its
          recognition
          > threshold is high, though its mastery is extremely
          low.

          Fair enough, but the column's reference to 'speaking'
          or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language "Elvish" is
          simply ignorance. One can't, even in theory, speak
          "Elvish" any more than one could speak Romance, or
          Finno-Ugric.
        • Linda DeMars
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
            What a delight! You certainly brightened my day. As a fan of Bill and Ted
            movies, at least the first one, I really appreciated this silly link and
            laughed as I scrolled through each one.

            Linda D.

            On 7/9/07, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

            > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
            > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
            > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
            > D&D adventure.
            >
            > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
            >
            > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
            > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
            > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
            > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
            > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
            > by narrator inattention:
            >
            > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
            >
            > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
            > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
            >
            > --John R.

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
              On Jul 9, 2007, at 12:58 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
              > Fair enough, but the column's reference to 'speaking'
              > or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language "Elvish" is
              > simply ignorance. One can't, even in theory, speak
              > "Elvish" any more than one could speak Romance, or
              > Finno-Ugric.

              Or Indo-European. Of course. But I'm willing to cut him a break on
              that point, since Bilbo himself often uses "Elvish" when he means
              Sindarin
              (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I thought you knew enough
              Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the West, Numenorean").
              Finally getting a chance to read the article itself, I think it
              does a pretty good job of pointing out that today's scholars don't
              become medievalists by reading BEOWULF in college; they discover a
              love of medieval literature either through reading JRRT, or playing
              D&D, or (in the vast majority of cases) both.
              It's funny that as a gamer I see pieces like this every year
              where a reporter goes to regale people about the odd going-ons at
              GenCon; seeing the same treatment transferred to a scholarly
              conference is bemusing. Though as a purist I do scoff at the idea
              that finding a computer to play D&D Online isn't the same thing as
              finding a place to play D&D.
              Thanks to Wendell for posting the link.
              --JDR

            • Merlin DeTardo
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                >>John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                >>But I'm willing to cut him a break on that point, since Bilbo
                himself often uses "Elvish" when he means Sindarin
                (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I thought you knew enough
                Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the West, Numenorean").

                Good point, but in the first instance, mightn't Bilbo have
                translated from works in both Sindarin and Quenya at Rivendell?

                >>I think it does a pretty good job of pointing out that today's
                scholars don't become medievalists by reading BEOWULF in college;
                they discover a love of medieval literature either through reading
                JRRT, or playing D&D, or (in the vast majority of cases) both.

                In further support of that point, Richard Scott Nokes and other
                medievalists responded to the article with additional comments on
                their introduction to medievalism by way of Tolkien, RPG, etc. at
                Nokes' blog:

                http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2007/07/sir-nokes-knight-of-
                faculty-lounge.html
              • William Cloud Hicklin
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007

                  Hicklin wrote:
                  > > Fair enough, but the column's reference to
                  'speaking'
                  > > or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language
                  "Elvish" is
                  > > simply ignorance. One can't, even in
                  theory,
                  speak
                  > > "Elvish" any more than one could speak
                  Romance,
                  or
                  > > Finno-Ugric.
                  >
                  > Or Indo-European. Of course. But I'm willing
                  cut him a break on
                  > that point, since Bilbo himself often uses
                  "Elvish" when he means
                  > Sindarin
                  > (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I
                  thought you knew enough
                  > Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the
                  West, Numenorean").

                  Ok, good point. Come to think of it, I don't
                  believe the names "Sindarin" or "Quenya"
                  actually appear anywhere in the narrative proper
                  (unsurprisingly in the former case, since at the
                  time it was still "Noldorin.")
                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                    Oh, John, thank you so much - this is great (I must send it to my son,
                    who will also love it); just really good facial expressions and word
                    bubbles! <grin>

                    Um, are we living in a bizarre world where Jackson LotR fans the
                    equivalent of Muslims reacting to "Danish" cartoons? The LotR novel
                    gets lampooned ("Bored of the Rings") and that's minimally tolerable
                    if not okay and sometimes actually embraced in a kind of dualism but
                    to mock the movie causes great frothing? Surely not--

                    -- Lynn --

                    > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
                    > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
                    > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
                    > D&D adventure.
                    >
                    > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
                    >

                    > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
                    > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
                    > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
                    > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
                    > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
                    > by narrator inattention:
                    >
                    > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
                    >
                    > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
                    > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
                    >
                    > --John R.

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                      "Remember: That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do
                      so for the purposes of the plot."

                      bwahahahahahahahaha!
                    • Merlin DeTardo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                        >>---"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:
                        >>Come to think of it, I don't believe the names "Sindarin"
                        or "Quenya" actually appear anywhere in the narrative proper
                        (unsurprisingly in the former case, since at the time it was
                        still "Noldorin.")

                        I never noticed that (or didn't not notice those missing words,
                        rather)! Your comment sent me on a search of _LotR_, using Scull
                        and Hammond's (wonderful) index to the 2005 one-volume, paperback
                        edition. No doubt I'm repeating what others have done before, but
                        for fun or further comment, here are the appearances of "Quenya"
                        or "Sindarin", by those or other names, in order of appearance;
                        references are to Book, Chapter, page(s):

                        ---Quenya---
                        High-elven speech (I, iii, 81)
                        Ancient Tongue (I, iii, 81)
                        Ancient Speech (I, iii, 85)
                        ancient tongue of the Elves beyond the Sea (II, viii, 377)
                        high tongue of old (V, viii, 863)
                        Valinorean (V, viii, 864)
                        High-elven (App. A, I, ii, 1038; App. A, I, iii, 1039; App. F, I,
                        1127; App. F, II, 1137)
                        Quenya (App. D, 1107, 1110, 1111; App. E, I, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116;
                        App. E, II, 1118, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1126; App. F, I, 1127,
                        1128, 1131)
                        High-elven Quenya (App. E, 1113; App. F, I, 1128)
                        Q. (App. E, 1113, 1114, 1115)
                        High-elven tongue (App. F, I, 1131)

                        ---Sindarin---
                        Elvish (II, i, 233; II, iv, 307)
                        Elvish tongue (II, iii, 283; App. A, III, 1074)
                        elven-tongue of the West of Middle-earth in the Elder Days (II, iv,
                        306)
                        our woodland-tongue (II, vi, 339) [1]
                        elven-tongue (II, vi, 342, 343; IV, iv, 659; App. F, I, 1129) [1]
                        Elvish speech (III, viii, 555)
                        noble tongue (V, viii, 864) [2]
                        Sindarin (App. D, 1107, 1110, 1111; App. E, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117;
                        App. E, II, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1126; App. F, I, 1127, 1128,
                        1131)
                        S. (App. E, I, 1113, 1114, 1115)
                        Grey-elven (App. E, II, 1123; App. F, I, 1127, 1128, 1130, 1132)

                        Apologies for any omissions or errors. Also for the missing
                        diacritical marks in these notes:

                        [1] S&H apparently refer to the terms "our woodland-tongue"
                        and "elven-tongue" in the chapter "Lothlorien" when they index the
                        same pages under both "Sindarin" and "Silvan Elves, language of",
                        presumably per the first note to Appendix F (p. 1127), which says
                        that Frodo at first misunderstood the accented Sindarin speech of
                        the Lorien elves to be a Silvan tongue. (Though perhaps that note
                        also should be indexed under "Silvan Elves, language of"?)

                        [2] S&H give "noble tongue" as a name for Quenya. The only
                        appearance I found for "noble tongue" is in "The Houses of Healing",
                        where the herb-master uses it to describe the name "athelas",
                        contrasting it to the name "asea aranion" in the "Valinorean"
                        language, which is Quenya. I have listed "noble tongue" under
                        Sindarin on the assumption that "athelas" is therefore a Sindarin
                        word...

                        ...and after searching for "athelas" on the lambengolmor list, and
                        reading this post and its successors:

                        I am a bit lost. So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved
                        etymology suggesting a strong element of Quenya (or Old English?) --
                        is that right?
                      • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                          RTFL! Thank you, John! You are right: the Elrond bit is particularly
                          funny.

                          Cathy

                          > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
                          > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
                          > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
                          > D&D adventure.
                          >
                          > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
                          >

                          > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
                          > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
                          > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
                          > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
                          > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
                          > by narrator inattention:
                          >
                          > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
                          >
                          > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
                          > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
                          >
                          > --John R.

                        • William Cloud Hicklin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
                            DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                            > I am a bit lost. So "athelas" is Sindarin, but
                            with an unresolved
                            > etymology suggesting a strong element of Quenya
                            (or Old English?) --
                            > is that right?

                            It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that
                            the etymology isn't unresolved, either, although
                            the note in question hasn't been published (except
                            via Internet: my fault, but the wars were still in
                            the future at the time). The plant apparently was
                            not native to Middle-earth, but brought by the
                            Noldor; they called it in Quenya athea > asea (see
                            The Shibboleth of Feanor). In exile, the Sindarin
                            name was coined: regular cognate athe- compounded
                            with -las. My speculation is that Asea Aranion
                            was a specifically Numenorean term, the King being
                            associated with healing in that culture; the
                            translation would be something like 'kingsbalm.'

                            The link to Old English aethele was entirely my
                            guess- but it wouldn't be the only time OE found
                            its way into the Elvish tongues: see CT's note on
                            Orgel in Children of Hurin, or for that matter S.
                            orch (from OE orc: Tolkien expressly said this
                            word was 'Rohirric,' and it plainly comes from OE
                            orc-neas and not L. orcus.).
                          • William Cloud Hicklin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                              OMG, Dr John, that is *screamingly* funny! And I've
                              been that DM, too.
                            • Merlin DeTardo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
                                >>"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

                                >>>---"Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@> wrote:
                                >>>So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved etymology ...?

                                >> It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that the etymology isn't
                                unresolved, either, although the note in question...

                                Thanks very much for that explanation.

                                >>...it wouldn't be the only time OE found its way into the Elvish
                                tongues: see CT's note on Orgel in Children of Hurin...

                                I can't find Orgel in the list of names at the back of _The Children
                                of Hurin_ -- which character is that?

                                Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is right that it
                                was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?
                              • William Cloud Hicklin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
                                  DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                                  > Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is
                                  right that it
                                  > was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?

                                  Well, look at it from the perspective of CRT's
                                  purpose in publishing CoH. He very openly intended
                                  it to serve as a bridge to The Silmarillion for
                                  readers of The Lord of the Rings. Not direct to
                                  HoME! Thus in this one case consistency overrode
                                  what was generally his 'extreme scrupulosity' in not
                                  altering the Narn papers at all beyond, in effect,
                                  copy-editing. (He was fortunate in the fact that the
                                  Narn papers, to all appearances, predate the 1958-60
                                  writings which underly so many 'canonicity' debates).