Medieval studies

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
      Here's an article from _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ on Tolkien's
      importance to modern medieval studies:

      _http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm_
      (http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm)

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
        John Gravois, the author of the article linked to, writes:

        "Elvish, a language created by Tolkien, is one of the most widely
        spoken invented languages — along with Esperanto and Klingon."

        Let's see: Esperanto is spoken by between 100,000 and 2 million
        people (according to Wikipedia). Klingon is probably spoken (slowly,
        I'm sure; as opposed to simply being written, slowly) by no more than
        a few dozen people. And precisely no one speaks "Elvish", either
        Quenya or Sindarin (not even Tolkien could do so casually).

        "Elvish" can certainly be classified with Klingon in terms of _the
        number of people who study it_ (but can't actually speak it
        casually). But both are surely dwarfed by even the most conservative
        estimate of those who actually can and do speak Esperanto.

        Carl

        On Jul 6, 2007, at 11:18 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

        > Here's an article from _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ on
        > Tolkien's
        > importance to modern medieval studies:
        >
        > _http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm_
        > (http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm)
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

          > John Gravois, the author of the article linked to, writes:
          >
          > "Elvish, a language created by Tolkien, is one of the most widely
          > spoken invented languages — along with Esperanto and Klingon."
          >
          > Let's see: Esperanto is spoken by between 100,000 and 2 million
          > people (according to Wikipedia). Klingon is probably spoken (slowly,
          > I'm sure; as opposed to simply being written, slowly) by no more than
          > a few dozen people. And precisely no one speaks "Elvish", either
          > Quenya or Sindarin (not even Tolkien could do so casually).
          >
          > "Elvish" can certainly be classified with Klingon in terms of _the
          > number of people who study it_ (but can't actually speak it
          > casually). But both are surely dwarfed by even the most conservative
          > estimate of those who actually can and do speak Esperanto.
          >
          > Carl

          Not to mention Volapuk...! But really, Carl, we're supposed to infer
          what he *means* and not simply understand what he said... [eye-rolling]

          -- Lynn --
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
            Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
            Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
            numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
            D&D adventure.

            http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

            The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
            installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
            Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
            far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
            presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
            by narrator inattention:

            http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148

            So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
            see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.

            --John R.
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
              Perhaps it would have been more accurate for him to have written "one
              of the most widely KNOWN invented languages", since a great many
              people know about it and may even have some idea how it looks and
              sounds, but they can't actually read or write it. So its recognition
              threshold is high, though its mastery is extremely low.
              --JDR

              On Jul 8, 2007, at 10:32 PM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
              > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> John Gravois, the author of the article linked to, writes:
              >>
              >> "Elvish, a language created by Tolkien, is one of the most widely
              >> spoken invented languages — along with Esperanto and Klingon."
              >>
              >> Let's see: Esperanto is spoken by between 100,000 and 2 million
              >> people (according to Wikipedia). Klingon is probably spoken (slowly,
              >> I'm sure; as opposed to simply being written, slowly) by no more than
              >> a few dozen people. And precisely no one speaks "Elvish", either
              >> Quenya or Sindarin (not even Tolkien could do so casually).
              >>
              >> "Elvish" can certainly be classified with Klingon in terms of _the
              >> number of people who study it_ (but can't actually speak it
              >> casually). But both are surely dwarfed by even the most conservative
              >> estimate of those who actually can and do speak Esperanto.
              >>
              >> Carl
              >
              > Not to mention Volapuk...! But really, Carl, we're supposed to infer
              > what he *means* and not simply understand what he said... [eye-
              > rolling]
              >
              > -- Lynn --
            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff
                <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps it would have been more accurate for him to
                have written
                "one
                > of the most widely KNOWN invented languages", since
                a great many
                > people know about it and may even have some idea
                how it looks and
                > sounds, but they can't actually read or write it.
                So its
                recognition
                > threshold is high, though its mastery is extremely
                low.

                Fair enough, but the column's reference to 'speaking'
                or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language "Elvish" is
                simply ignorance. One can't, even in theory, speak
                "Elvish" any more than one could speak Romance, or
                Finno-Ugric.
              • Linda DeMars
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                  What a delight! You certainly brightened my day. As a fan of Bill and Ted
                  movies, at least the first one, I really appreciated this silly link and
                  laughed as I scrolled through each one.

                  Linda D.

                  On 7/9/07, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                  > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
                  > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
                  > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
                  > D&D adventure.
                  >
                  > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
                  >
                  > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
                  > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
                  > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
                  > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
                  > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
                  > by narrator inattention:
                  >
                  > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
                  >
                  > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
                  > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
                  >
                  > --John R.

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                    On Jul 9, 2007, at 12:58 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
                    > Fair enough, but the column's reference to 'speaking'
                    > or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language "Elvish" is
                    > simply ignorance. One can't, even in theory, speak
                    > "Elvish" any more than one could speak Romance, or
                    > Finno-Ugric.

                    Or Indo-European. Of course. But I'm willing to cut him a break on
                    that point, since Bilbo himself often uses "Elvish" when he means
                    Sindarin
                    (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I thought you knew enough
                    Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the West, Numenorean").
                    Finally getting a chance to read the article itself, I think it
                    does a pretty good job of pointing out that today's scholars don't
                    become medievalists by reading BEOWULF in college; they discover a
                    love of medieval literature either through reading JRRT, or playing
                    D&D, or (in the vast majority of cases) both.
                    It's funny that as a gamer I see pieces like this every year
                    where a reporter goes to regale people about the odd going-ons at
                    GenCon; seeing the same treatment transferred to a scholarly
                    conference is bemusing. Though as a purist I do scoff at the idea
                    that finding a computer to play D&D Online isn't the same thing as
                    finding a place to play D&D.
                    Thanks to Wendell for posting the link.
                    --JDR

                  • Merlin DeTardo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                      >>John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                      >>But I'm willing to cut him a break on that point, since Bilbo
                      himself often uses "Elvish" when he means Sindarin
                      (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I thought you knew enough
                      Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the West, Numenorean").

                      Good point, but in the first instance, mightn't Bilbo have
                      translated from works in both Sindarin and Quenya at Rivendell?

                      >>I think it does a pretty good job of pointing out that today's
                      scholars don't become medievalists by reading BEOWULF in college;
                      they discover a love of medieval literature either through reading
                      JRRT, or playing D&D, or (in the vast majority of cases) both.

                      In further support of that point, Richard Scott Nokes and other
                      medievalists responded to the article with additional comments on
                      their introduction to medievalism by way of Tolkien, RPG, etc. at
                      Nokes' blog:

                      http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2007/07/sir-nokes-knight-of-
                      faculty-lounge.html
                    • William Cloud Hicklin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007

                        Hicklin wrote:
                        > > Fair enough, but the column's reference to
                        'speaking'
                        > > or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language
                        "Elvish" is
                        > > simply ignorance. One can't, even in
                        theory,
                        speak
                        > > "Elvish" any more than one could speak
                        Romance,
                        or
                        > > Finno-Ugric.
                        >
                        > Or Indo-European. Of course. But I'm willing
                        cut him a break on
                        > that point, since Bilbo himself often uses
                        "Elvish" when he means
                        > Sindarin
                        > (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I
                        thought you knew enough
                        > Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the
                        West, Numenorean").

                        Ok, good point. Come to think of it, I don't
                        believe the names "Sindarin" or "Quenya"
                        actually appear anywhere in the narrative proper
                        (unsurprisingly in the former case, since at the
                        time it was still "Noldorin.")
                      • Lynn Maudlin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                          Oh, John, thank you so much - this is great (I must send it to my son,
                          who will also love it); just really good facial expressions and word
                          bubbles! <grin>

                          Um, are we living in a bizarre world where Jackson LotR fans the
                          equivalent of Muslims reacting to "Danish" cartoons? The LotR novel
                          gets lampooned ("Bored of the Rings") and that's minimally tolerable
                          if not okay and sometimes actually embraced in a kind of dualism but
                          to mock the movie causes great frothing? Surely not--

                          -- Lynn --

                          > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
                          > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
                          > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
                          > D&D adventure.
                          >
                          > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
                          >

                          > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
                          > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
                          > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
                          > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
                          > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
                          > by narrator inattention:
                          >
                          > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
                          >
                          > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
                          > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
                          >
                          > --John R.

                        • Lynn Maudlin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                            "Remember: That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do
                            so for the purposes of the plot."

                            bwahahahahahahahaha!
                          • Merlin DeTardo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                              >>---"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:
                              >>Come to think of it, I don't believe the names "Sindarin"
                              or "Quenya" actually appear anywhere in the narrative proper
                              (unsurprisingly in the former case, since at the time it was
                              still "Noldorin.")

                              I never noticed that (or didn't not notice those missing words,
                              rather)! Your comment sent me on a search of _LotR_, using Scull
                              and Hammond's (wonderful) index to the 2005 one-volume, paperback
                              edition. No doubt I'm repeating what others have done before, but
                              for fun or further comment, here are the appearances of "Quenya"
                              or "Sindarin", by those or other names, in order of appearance;
                              references are to Book, Chapter, page(s):

                              ---Quenya---
                              High-elven speech (I, iii, 81)
                              Ancient Tongue (I, iii, 81)
                              Ancient Speech (I, iii, 85)
                              ancient tongue of the Elves beyond the Sea (II, viii, 377)
                              high tongue of old (V, viii, 863)
                              Valinorean (V, viii, 864)
                              High-elven (App. A, I, ii, 1038; App. A, I, iii, 1039; App. F, I,
                              1127; App. F, II, 1137)
                              Quenya (App. D, 1107, 1110, 1111; App. E, I, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116;
                              App. E, II, 1118, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1126; App. F, I, 1127,
                              1128, 1131)
                              High-elven Quenya (App. E, 1113; App. F, I, 1128)
                              Q. (App. E, 1113, 1114, 1115)
                              High-elven tongue (App. F, I, 1131)

                              ---Sindarin---
                              Elvish (II, i, 233; II, iv, 307)
                              Elvish tongue (II, iii, 283; App. A, III, 1074)
                              elven-tongue of the West of Middle-earth in the Elder Days (II, iv,
                              306)
                              our woodland-tongue (II, vi, 339) [1]
                              elven-tongue (II, vi, 342, 343; IV, iv, 659; App. F, I, 1129) [1]
                              Elvish speech (III, viii, 555)
                              noble tongue (V, viii, 864) [2]
                              Sindarin (App. D, 1107, 1110, 1111; App. E, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117;
                              App. E, II, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1126; App. F, I, 1127, 1128,
                              1131)
                              S. (App. E, I, 1113, 1114, 1115)
                              Grey-elven (App. E, II, 1123; App. F, I, 1127, 1128, 1130, 1132)

                              Apologies for any omissions or errors. Also for the missing
                              diacritical marks in these notes:

                              [1] S&H apparently refer to the terms "our woodland-tongue"
                              and "elven-tongue" in the chapter "Lothlorien" when they index the
                              same pages under both "Sindarin" and "Silvan Elves, language of",
                              presumably per the first note to Appendix F (p. 1127), which says
                              that Frodo at first misunderstood the accented Sindarin speech of
                              the Lorien elves to be a Silvan tongue. (Though perhaps that note
                              also should be indexed under "Silvan Elves, language of"?)

                              [2] S&H give "noble tongue" as a name for Quenya. The only
                              appearance I found for "noble tongue" is in "The Houses of Healing",
                              where the herb-master uses it to describe the name "athelas",
                              contrasting it to the name "asea aranion" in the "Valinorean"
                              language, which is Quenya. I have listed "noble tongue" under
                              Sindarin on the assumption that "athelas" is therefore a Sindarin
                              word...

                              ...and after searching for "athelas" on the lambengolmor list, and
                              reading this post and its successors:

                              I am a bit lost. So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved
                              etymology suggesting a strong element of Quenya (or Old English?) --
                              is that right?
                            • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                                RTFL! Thank you, John! You are right: the Elrond bit is particularly
                                funny.

                                Cathy

                                > Here's something very silly I happened to come across last week:
                                > Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the RIngs' as experienced by a bunch of
                                > numskulls trying to play thorough the story as if it were a typical
                                > D&D adventure.
                                >
                                > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
                                >

                                > The story is still ongoing, after about a hundred and twenty
                                > installments; they're currently messing around in the middle of the
                                > Battle of the Pelennor Fields. The best episode of those I've seen so
                                > far is the one covering Elrond's sudden appearance in Rohan, here
                                > presented as a desperate attempt by the DM to fit a plot-hole caused
                                > by narrator inattention:
                                >
                                > http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148
                                >
                                > So, if you like D&D jokes, enjoy. If not, or if you don't like to
                                > see the Jackson films mocked, better to give this a pass.
                                >
                                > --John R.

                              • William Cloud Hicklin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
                                  DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                                  > I am a bit lost. So "athelas" is Sindarin, but
                                  with an unresolved
                                  > etymology suggesting a strong element of Quenya
                                  (or Old English?) --
                                  > is that right?

                                  It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that
                                  the etymology isn't unresolved, either, although
                                  the note in question hasn't been published (except
                                  via Internet: my fault, but the wars were still in
                                  the future at the time). The plant apparently was
                                  not native to Middle-earth, but brought by the
                                  Noldor; they called it in Quenya athea > asea (see
                                  The Shibboleth of Feanor). In exile, the Sindarin
                                  name was coined: regular cognate athe- compounded
                                  with -las. My speculation is that Asea Aranion
                                  was a specifically Numenorean term, the King being
                                  associated with healing in that culture; the
                                  translation would be something like 'kingsbalm.'

                                  The link to Old English aethele was entirely my
                                  guess- but it wouldn't be the only time OE found
                                  its way into the Elvish tongues: see CT's note on
                                  Orgel in Children of Hurin, or for that matter S.
                                  orch (from OE orc: Tolkien expressly said this
                                  word was 'Rohirric,' and it plainly comes from OE
                                  orc-neas and not L. orcus.).
                                • William Cloud Hicklin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 11, 2007
                                    OMG, Dr John, that is *screamingly* funny! And I've
                                    been that DM, too.
                                  • Merlin DeTardo
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
                                      >>"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

                                      >>>---"Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@> wrote:
                                      >>>So "athelas" is Sindarin, but with an unresolved etymology ...?

                                      >> It's definitely Sindarin. I would suggest that the etymology isn't
                                      unresolved, either, although the note in question...

                                      Thanks very much for that explanation.

                                      >>...it wouldn't be the only time OE found its way into the Elvish
                                      tongues: see CT's note on Orgel in Children of Hurin...

                                      I can't find Orgel in the list of names at the back of _The Children
                                      of Hurin_ -- which character is that?

                                      Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is right that it
                                      was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?
                                    • William Cloud Hicklin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 15, 2007
                                        DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                                        > Just kidding. Do you think Christopher Tolkien is
                                        right that it
                                        > was "too late" to change "Saeros" to "Orgol"?

                                        Well, look at it from the perspective of CRT's
                                        purpose in publishing CoH. He very openly intended
                                        it to serve as a bridge to The Silmarillion for
                                        readers of The Lord of the Rings. Not direct to
                                        HoME! Thus in this one case consistency overrode
                                        what was generally his 'extreme scrupulosity' in not
                                        altering the Narn papers at all beyond, in effect,
                                        copy-editing. (He was fortunate in the fact that the
                                        Narn papers, to all appearances, predate the 1958-60
                                        writings which underly so many 'canonicity' debates).