Re: [mythsoc] about dwarves and spiders in the Hobbit ...

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
      On Jun 25, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Anglin Turcam wrote:

      > But you also find some other interresting thing about this fact in one
      > other book written by Pr. Tolkien :
      >
      > [...] His gleaming coat
      > was made of rings of steel no shaft
      > could pierce, a web of dwarvish craft ...
      > Lays of Beleriand.
      > [p.166-167]

      Tolkien here is using "web" in its original sense of 'woven
      fabric' (it is cognate with "weave"). It is often encountered in this
      sense in Middle English. He is not associating the coat with spider-
      webs.

      Carl
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
        >>---"Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
        >>Tolkien here is using "web" in its original sense of 'woven fabric'
        (it is cognate with "weave"). It is often encountered in this sense in
        Middle English.

        And Tolkien also uses "web" elsewhere in the same way, as in the
        chapter, "Minas Tirith", in _LotR_:

        "No hangings nor storied webs, nor any things of woven stuff or of
        wood, were to be seen in that long solemn hall; but between the
        pillars there stood a silent company of tall images graven in cold
        stone."
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007

          > On Jun 25, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Anglin Turcam wrote:
          >
          > > But you also find some other interresting thing about this fact in one
          > > other book written by Pr. Tolkien :
          > >
          > > [...] His gleaming coat
          > > was made of rings of steel no shaft
          > > could pierce, a web of dwarvish craft ...
          > > Lays of Beleriand.
          > > [p.166-167]
          > >

          > Tolkien here is using "web" in its original sense of 'woven
          > fabric' (it is cognate with "weave"). It is often encountered in this
          > sense in Middle English. He is not associating the coat with spider-
          > webs.

          Though if I recall correctly spider web comes from this meaning: it is after all a spider's weaving, a kind of fabric.

          Larry Swain

          Powered by Outblaze
        • Paul Meeter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
            This reminds me of Barfield's "Poetic Diction". Tolkien uses the words
            "web" and "lob", well aware of their meanings both then and now; and the
            differences between their meanings then and now. It's just one example of
            how Tolkien re-enriches our own meaning-fund with all that the words used to
            signify. I like the connection between 'dwarf' and 'spider' that is evident
            in Northern lore. I expect Tolkien knew of it, and perhaps meant to play
            the linguistic joke by having the one try to eat the other.

            --
            Paul Meeter