Re:Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
      So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
      whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

      Reading the variety of responses and reactions to this and LeGuin and
      others, I can only think "Your Mileage May Vary--" we are individuals
      and respond as such. This is a good thing, imho.

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...>

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
        In a message dated 6/26/2007 10:32:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        lynnmaudlin@... writes:

        So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
        whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

        Because, as I said in my post last night, the whole nomination procedure was
        very arcane. They started with all the winners of the Carnegie Medal. _His
        Dark Materials_ was never voted on as a single book for the Carnegie. Only
        the part published as _The Golden Compass_ won a Carnegie. Then some
        committee decided that the following ten books were the finalists and they were the
        only books that the online voters could choose from:

        David Almond _David Al
        Melvin Burgess _Junk_
        <WBR><WBR>Kevin Crossley-Holland
        Jennifer Donnelly _A Jennifer Donnelly
        Alan Garner _The Owl Service_
        Eve Garnett Eve Garnett <WBR><WBR>_The Family
        <WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WB
        Philippa Pearce Philippa Pearce <WBR><WBR
        Philip Pullman Philip Pullman <WBR><W
        Robert WestallRobert Westall<WBR><W

        The online voters chose _The Golden Compass_, possibly because it was the
        only one that they had read (or even heard of).

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
          The book titles and authors got screwed up somehow, and I don't have time to
          figure out why. Look at the Wikipedia entry for the Carnegie Medal.
          There's a list of the ten finalists there.

        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
            Oh, of course it did. If first volume is part of a series I can't separate what happens in the first book from what happens later in subsequent books, and since he's so millitant, it shows in the later work. So although I enjoyed some aspects of *Golden Compass* I would not be able to give it my vote.

            More things to add to my To Read pile, continually getting larger.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
              I certainly enjoyed Atuan; still hold some images in my mind from that book after years of not reading it. That's a compliment.

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                Just a quick note to ask if anybody who'd found errata in THE HISTORY
                OF THE HOBBIT could drop me a line off-list (sacnoth@...)
                to let me know about them, so I can fix them for the trade paperback.
                Think I've found most of them by now, but you never know; better
                hearing again about one I've caught than missing one I didn't spot.
                TIme is a factor, though, so if you know of any please let me know
                right away.
                Thanks all.
                --John R.