Re:Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

  • Cathy Akers-Jordan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
      > It was the first fantasy I read after discovering Tolkien, handed to
      > me by someone who said "If you liked Tolkien, you'll like this".

      I had the same problem as a teen/college student, John. After reading
      LotR at 15, I quickly learned to avoid any books that friends or cover
      blurbs compared to Tolkien because 1. *nothing* could compare, 2. it
      was usually nothing like LotR, and 3. I usually hated it (like
      Sharnara and Thomas Covenant, which I've mentioned before).

      For years I didn't read sword-and-sorcery fantasy because nothing
      could compare to an epic like LotR and I hated the books my friends
      thought were wonderful. I liked Piers Anothy in high school but
      outgrew him long before my friends did. I read things like Watership
      Down, Ray Bradbury, and lots mysteries (still love those!) -- until I
      discovered Harry Potter. :)

      Now I see I have lots of catching up to do!

      So many books, so little time,

      Cathy
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
          So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
          whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

          Reading the variety of responses and reactions to this and LeGuin and
          others, I can only think "Your Mileage May Vary--" we are individuals
          and respond as such. This is a good thing, imho.

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...>

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
            In a message dated 6/26/2007 10:32:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            lynnmaudlin@... writes:

            So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
            whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

            Because, as I said in my post last night, the whole nomination procedure was
            very arcane. They started with all the winners of the Carnegie Medal. _His
            Dark Materials_ was never voted on as a single book for the Carnegie. Only
            the part published as _The Golden Compass_ won a Carnegie. Then some
            committee decided that the following ten books were the finalists and they were the
            only books that the online voters could choose from:

            David Almond _David Al
            Melvin Burgess _Junk_
            <WBR><WBR>Kevin Crossley-Holland
            Jennifer Donnelly _A Jennifer Donnelly
            Alan Garner _The Owl Service_
            Eve Garnett Eve Garnett <WBR><WBR>_The Family
            <WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WB
            Philippa Pearce Philippa Pearce <WBR><WBR
            Philip Pullman Philip Pullman <WBR><W
            Robert WestallRobert Westall<WBR><W

            The online voters chose _The Golden Compass_, possibly because it was the
            only one that they had read (or even heard of).

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
              The book titles and authors got screwed up somehow, and I don't have time to
              figure out why. Look at the Wikipedia entry for the Carnegie Medal.
              There's a list of the ten finalists there.

            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                Oh, of course it did. If first volume is part of a series I can't separate what happens in the first book from what happens later in subsequent books, and since he's so millitant, it shows in the later work. So although I enjoyed some aspects of *Golden Compass* I would not be able to give it my vote.

                More things to add to my To Read pile, continually getting larger.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                  I certainly enjoyed Atuan; still hold some images in my mind from that book after years of not reading it. That's a compliment.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Just a quick note to ask if anybody who'd found errata in THE HISTORY
                    OF THE HOBBIT could drop me a line off-list (sacnoth@...)
                    to let me know about them, so I can fix them for the trade paperback.
                    Think I've found most of them by now, but you never know; better
                    hearing again about one I've caught than missing one I didn't spot.
                    TIme is a factor, though, so if you know of any please let me know
                    right away.
                    Thanks all.
                    --John R.