Re: Another endorsement for Atuan

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007
      > --- Grace Walker Monk wrote ---
      > For me, although Tenar is the main character for the first part and
      > even though the perspective remains hers in the second part, Ged
      > is so immensely powerful and attractive and enthralling to her that
      > he becomes *her* focus that I find him becoming mine as well.
      > How he acts in labyrinth, his power in keeping the dark forces
      > quiet, his kindness to her (I especially think of his illusion showing
      > her what she looks like in a beautiful dress, without even moving
      > or blinking or speaking -- but also his acknowledgment that she
      > is a vessel made for light), all show me more about him than I
      > thought I learned in Wizard.

      I don't disagree with you on any of this, except to say that I, just speaking of my own personal reading experience, continued to see Tenar as the main focus even after it was clear who was trapped down in the labyrinth. All the way to the end, where, when they arrive at Havnor, Ged selflessly puts the Ring of Erreth-Akbe on her arm and recedes into the background, letting Tenar take the accolades of the people. But of course, these actions themselves help to develop his character further, too. Atuan is where we really see the excess of ego from Wizard disappearing, and by the time of Farthest Shore, there's almost no ego left at all.

      Jason