Re: Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
      I can't help but suspect that Pullman's open
      contempt for Tolkien and Lewis, as well as his
      militant atheism, garnered him quite a few votes
      from the Literati.
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff
        <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        >That Pullman utterly
        > failed to deliver on the promise of this first book
        doesn't, to my
        > mind, detract from his achievement, anymore than
        THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
        > diminishes A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, or Book V of THE
        FAERIE QUEENE
        > diminishes Books III & IV.

        I can't concur. GC isn't a book in its own right,
        like Wizard of Earthsea, but merely Volume 1, like
        Fellowship. It can't to my mind be judged
        independent of the other volumes, and like David, I
        find the third in particular to be a trainwreck: Act
        III of Faust as imagined by William Burroughs.
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
          During my term teaching in Canterbury at Canterbury Christ Church
          University College in spring 2004, NORTHERN LIGHTS was one of the three
          assigned novels on the syllabus in the Fiction & Drama course for
          underclass English majors. While it certainly started out very well, it
          was, as noted below, incomplete and thus unfulfilling. A few of the
          students had read the others and their verdict was similar to WCH's.

          THE BORROWERS, which I first read as a child, would have earned my
          sentimental vote; all of the series' volumes were well-wrought. I
          re-read as an adult years ago and they held up quite well.

          Far Westfarthing smial here in west-central Illinois has discussed
          adding GC/NL to our agenda for reading before the film appears.

          Cheers,
          Mike

        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
            I missed this, since I tend to skip Mr. Rateliff's posts. Just want to state
            for the record that "The Tombs of Atuan" is a fantastic book, absolutely
            worthy of following "A Wizard of Earthsea" and an excellent compliment to it. Far
            from diminishing from Wizard, it adds immeasurably to the development of Ged
            and shows more of the Earthsea world and its inhabitants.

            Just had to show Atuan some love -- now back to the debate about Pullman,
            whom I care nothing for and think very little of his writing, and certainly not
            enough to argue about him when others are doing such heavy lifting for me, so
            to speak.

            Grace Walker Monk

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
              I read about the first half of the first Pullman volume, and found it an
              extremely poor book for several reasons - the polemics were so heavy-handed
              that they irritated me even where I agreed with Pullman's philosophy, and
              the book isn't written in the "fairy tale" style (as Narnia is, for
              instance) that can excuse dogmatics; the structure and politics of the
              secondary world were grossly oversimple, a fatal objection when it's
              supposed to be the high politics of an alternate reality of our modern
              world; and the daemons were as irritating as the Ewoks and E.T., and that's
              about as irritating as is possible short of Jar Jar Binks. On top of which
              the plot wasn't very interesting or engrossing.

              And that, I was assured, is the good part!

              If that's the great fantasy of the 90s, then the field truly has become a
              scorched desert.

              Comparing it to the magnificent and profound _Watership Down_ reminds me of
              the Monty Python sketch about how 9 out of 10 British women can't tell the
              difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab.

              About the subsequent volumes I can't speak, except to note that by all
              accounts they are one story and so complaints I've read about the rampant
              illogic of volume three do reflect back on volume one, the same way that if
              Frodo had just dropped the Ring in the volcano and gone home, no harm no
              hurt no foul, it would have been a blemish on the whole LOTR and not merely
              volume three.

              Contrary, as Grace Monk says, to Earthsea. I'll leave volumes 4+ out of
              this, but the original trilogy is a true trilogy, three separate stories,
              and if _Farthest Shore_ is a little damp at times it's still a magnificent
              adventure, and _The Tombs of Atuan_ is every bit as good as _Wizard_, maybe
              better as it has a more unified plot: it's only flawed if you expect it to
              be told from Ged's viewpoint; whereas I found identifying him to be a major
              joy of a first spoiler-free reading.

              However, I doubt that Pullman's award went to a lousy book because the
              judges were atheists who wanted to give one in the eye to Tolkien and
              Lewis. That kind of tendentious misreading of people's motives is the kind
              of thing I'd expect to find in a Pullman novel. It makes much more sense
              to assume that, like John Rateliff - no Tolkien-hater he - they actually
              thought it was a good book.
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
                On Jun 25, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
                > THE BORROWERS, which I first read as a child, would have earned my
                > sentimental vote; all of the series' volumes were well-wrought. I
                > re-read as an adult years ago and they held up quite well.

                Yes, it's a sentimental favorite of mine as well; read and re-read
                them over and over in days gone by (except for POOR STAINLESS, which
                I could have done without). Though I think ARE ALL THE GIANTS DEAD?
                is actually a better book than any of them, excepting possibly the
                original THE BORROWERS, I didn't discover that until years later.

                On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:43 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                > _The Tombs of Atuan_ is every bit as good as _Wizard_, maybe
                > better as it has a more unified plot: it's only flawed if you
                > expect it to
                > be told from Ged's viewpoint; whereas I found identifying him to be
                > a major
                > joy of a first spoiler-free reading.

                Afraid that can't explain my reaction, since I read TOMBS first, with
                no preconceptions whatsoever about who should be in it. It was the
                first fantasy I read after discovering Tolkien, handed to me by
                someone who said "If you liked Tolkien, you'll like this". I hated it
                so much I didn't read any more LeGuin again for five years, when I
                discovered THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS, discovered just how good a
                writer she was, and went back to give Earthsea another try. The first
                book is magnificent; the second does not improve for me on a second,
                third, or even fourth reading (love the setting, hate the story,
                uninterested in the characters); the third is, as LeGuin says, an
                ambitious failure but the good parts are very good, so I'm fine with
                that. I'm glad the middle book has its admirers, though, and that
                they get something out of it that I can't. My favorite Earthsea is
                actually "The Rule of Names", not just for obvious reasons but
                because it didn't feature any of the main characters: I wish she'd
                changed her cast entirely with each new book rather than revisiting
                the same characters time and time again.

                On Jun 24, 2007, at 4:31 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                >> just as I rank Pullman's the best of the 1980s.
                > Sorry: obviously, that should have read "best of the 1990s".

                --for the 1980s I would pick THE BRIDGE OF BIRDS for that honor.

                --JDR
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 25, 2007
                  At 11:07 AM 6/25/2007 -0700, John D Rateliff wrote:

                  >Afraid that can't explain my reaction, since I read TOMBS first, with
                  >no preconceptions whatsoever about who should be in it. It was the
                  >first fantasy I read after discovering Tolkien, handed to me by
                  >someone who said "If you liked Tolkien, you'll like this".

                  Oh dear. That kind of salesmanship was the bane of my existence throughout
                  my teens, so I sympathize. The problem is that other books may be good,
                  but while you're anxiously waiting for _The Silmarillion_ to be published,
                  nothing by anybody else will scratch that Tolkien itch.

                  A few books I read in those days were good enough on their own terms, and
                  sufficiently individual and distinctive as LOTR was, to overcome this
                  burden: the Earthsea books and _Watership Down_ among them. Others, like
                  the Conan stories, had nothing in common with Tolkien except for having
                  heroism in a vaguely barbaric setting, and I couldn't figure out why people
                  were recommending them to me at all.

                  >--for the 1980s I would pick THE BRIDGE OF BIRDS for that honor.

                  A delightful, colorful book. But not what I would call a great fantasy by
                  any standard. The book from that decade, indeed even the very same year,
                  that I keep returning to is _Fire and Hemlock_, which I still consider
                  Diana Wynne Jones's best.
                • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
                    > It was the first fantasy I read after discovering Tolkien, handed to
                    > me by someone who said "If you liked Tolkien, you'll like this".

                    I had the same problem as a teen/college student, John. After reading
                    LotR at 15, I quickly learned to avoid any books that friends or cover
                    blurbs compared to Tolkien because 1. *nothing* could compare, 2. it
                    was usually nothing like LotR, and 3. I usually hated it (like
                    Sharnara and Thomas Covenant, which I've mentioned before).

                    For years I didn't read sword-and-sorcery fantasy because nothing
                    could compare to an epic like LotR and I hated the books my friends
                    thought were wonderful. I liked Piers Anothy in high school but
                    outgrew him long before my friends did. I read things like Watership
                    Down, Ray Bradbury, and lots mysteries (still love those!) -- until I
                    discovered Harry Potter. :)

                    Now I see I have lots of catching up to do!

                    So many books, so little time,

                    Cathy
                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
                      On Jun 24, 2007, at 4:31 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                      >> just as I rank Pullman's the best of the 1980s.
                      > Sorry: obviously, that should have read "best of the 1990s".

                      --for the 1980s I would pick THE BRIDGE OF BIRDS for that honor.

                      --JDR
                      <<

                      I might have said _Little, Big_.
                      Alexei

                    • lynnmaudlin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
                        So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
                        whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

                        Reading the variety of responses and reactions to this and LeGuin and
                        others, I can only think "Your Mileage May Vary--" we are individuals
                        and respond as such. This is a good thing, imho.

                        -- Lynn --

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...>

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
                          In a message dated 6/26/2007 10:32:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          lynnmaudlin@... writes:

                          So why did "The Golden Compass/Northern Lights" win, instead of the
                          whole "His Dark Materials" book? *confused*

                          Because, as I said in my post last night, the whole nomination procedure was
                          very arcane. They started with all the winners of the Carnegie Medal. _His
                          Dark Materials_ was never voted on as a single book for the Carnegie. Only
                          the part published as _The Golden Compass_ won a Carnegie. Then some
                          committee decided that the following ten books were the finalists and they were the
                          only books that the online voters could choose from:

                          David Almond _David Al
                          Melvin Burgess _Junk_
                          <WBR><WBR>Kevin Crossley-Holland
                          Jennifer Donnelly _A Jennifer Donnelly
                          Alan Garner _The Owl Service_
                          Eve Garnett Eve Garnett <WBR><WBR>_The Family
                          <WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WBR><WB
                          Philippa Pearce Philippa Pearce <WBR><WBR
                          Philip Pullman Philip Pullman <WBR><W
                          Robert WestallRobert Westall<WBR><W

                          The online voters chose _The Golden Compass_, possibly because it was the
                          only one that they had read (or even heard of).

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 26, 2007
                            The book titles and authors got screwed up somehow, and I don't have time to
                            figure out why. Look at the Wikipedia entry for the Carnegie Medal.
                            There's a list of the ten finalists there.

                          • Diane Joy Baker
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                              Oh, of course it did. If first volume is part of a series I can't separate what happens in the first book from what happens later in subsequent books, and since he's so millitant, it shows in the later work. So although I enjoyed some aspects of *Golden Compass* I would not be able to give it my vote.

                              More things to add to my To Read pile, continually getting larger.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                                I certainly enjoyed Atuan; still hold some images in my mind from that book after years of not reading it. That's a compliment.

                                <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                                >That Pullman utterly
                                > failed to deliver on the promise of this first book
                                doesn't, to my
                                > mind, detract from his achievement, anymore than
                                THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
                                > diminishes A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, or Book V of THE
                                FAERIE QUEENE
                                > diminishes Books III & IV.

                              • John D Rateliff
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  Just a quick note to ask if anybody who'd found errata in THE HISTORY
                                  OF THE HOBBIT could drop me a line off-list (sacnoth@...)
                                  to let me know about them, so I can fix them for the trade paperback.
                                  Think I've found most of them by now, but you never know; better
                                  hearing again about one I've caught than missing one I didn't spot.
                                  TIme is a factor, though, so if you know of any please let me know
                                  right away.
                                  Thanks all.
                                  --John R.