Re: General

  • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
      In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      bohannon@... writes:

      > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
      > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
      > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
      > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
      >
      > Blessings,
      >
      > Jim Bohannon
      > Milledgeville, Georgia
      Jim,
      when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.

      Leslie Maloney

      A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
      seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
      and some good company.
      Damn, Virginia is boring.

      (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)
    • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
        So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
        give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

        Leslie Maloney,
        Hampton, VA
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
          In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
          LeslieJ55@... writes:

          > old Mythie feeling lonely

          Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
          there.

          Mary S
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
            LeslieJ55@... wrote:

            > From: LeslieJ55@...
            >
            > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > bohannon@... writes:
            >
            > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
            > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
            > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
            > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
            > >
            > > Blessings,
            > >
            > > Jim Bohannon
            > > Milledgeville, Georgia
            > Jim,
            > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
            >
            > Leslie Maloney
            >
            > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
            > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
            > and some good company.
            > Damn, Virginia is boring.
            >
            > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

            Leslie:

            I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
            maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

            Another aging hobbit
            with a penchant for Earl Grey.
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
              LeslieJ55@... writes:

              > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
              > > MacDonald.

              There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
              simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
              quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
              were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

              Mary S
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                Mary wrote:

                >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                >> > MacDonald.
                >
                >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                It's:

                Johannesen Printing and Publishing
                P.O. Box 24
                Whitethorn, CA 95589

                Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

                Wayne Hammond
              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                    Jim Bohannon wrote:

                    > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                    >
                    > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > From: FrMacKen@...
                    > >
                    > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                    > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                    > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                    I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                    so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                    see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                    > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                    > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                    > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                    I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                    Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                    me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                    enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                    De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                    like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                    people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                    far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                    and
                    Dream.* ---djb.

                    > Blessings,
                    > Jim
                  • Diane Baker
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                      LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                      > From: LeslieJ55@...
                      >
                      > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                      > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                      >
                      > Leslie Maloney,
                      > Hampton, VA

                      Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                      Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                      Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                      cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                      geography? ---djb.