Re: [mythsoc] Interesting mention of the Inklings

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
      At 07:31 AM 6/13/2007 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

      >What's the third error? Is it that the Narnia books were after
      >the end of the Inklings? When did the Inklings end according to your
      >chronology?

      The third error is, "Both authors generated ideas for their stories in" the
      Inklings. Unless you count Lewis and Tolkien agreeing (but not at the
      Inklings) to write space and time stories, which they then went off by
      themselves and thought up and wrote, the Inklings didn't sit around
      generating story ideas. They critiqued things already written.

      So it doesn't really matter, for purposes of judging the factuality of this
      article, if Narnia postdates the Inklings or not, because Lewis didn't
      generate that or other story ideas there in any case. The article doesn't
      say that stories were critiqued there, only that they were generated there.

      I wrote "at least" three errors. Whether it's accurate to describe the
      Inklings as "Oxford scholars" is debateable - most of them were, and Havard
      and WHL were scholarly in their own way even if not connected with the
      University - and that could be a fourth.

      Wendell's other observations on the significance of this reference are
      interesting. I've passed the original quote on to Diana Glyer.
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
        Now *that* would be cool! i'm hoping the interview today went well...
        (Mars Hill Audio).

        -- Lynn --

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
          In a message dated 6/13/2007 9:57:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          lynnmaudlin@... writes:

          i'm hoping the interview today went well...
          (Mars Hill Audio).

          What interview?

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
            Diana Glyer has had a series of quite interesting interviews in the
            promoting of _The_Company_They_Keep_ This weekend she's one of the
            featured speakers (w/Paul Ford and someone else, sorry, blanked--) at
            the So.Cal.C.S. Lewis Society symposium (Sat 16th at St. Luke's in
            Monrovia, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 pm, I believe).

            She also had a live radio interview w/Frank Pastore on KKLA (I'm
            pretty sure that's KKLA) a few weeks ago - I missed it, of course --no
            warning!-- but other folks may have caught it). This one, however,
            will be available to subscribers.

            -- Lynn --