Re: [mythsoc] Interesting mention of the Inklings

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
      In a message dated 6/12/2007 12:00:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      That's fascinating. I count at least three factual errors in those two
      sentences, but that's a normal circumstance, and the errors don't diminish
      the basic point, which is quite true. In fact it sounds as if US News &
      World Report has been reading Diana Pavlac Glyer's _The Company They Keep._
      (plug!)

      I thought about one of the errors (that _The Chronicles of Narnia_ was
      written after _The Lord of the Rings_ was essentially finished), and I would have
      mentioned it but was typing in a hurry, and I realize that you can't talk
      about the _Lord of the Rings_ novels (nor about it being a trilogy), since it's
      one book. What's the third error? Is it that the Narnia books were after
      the end of the Inklings? When did the Inklings end according to your
      chronology?

      It occurred to me that this mention was similar to Glyer's point in her book.

      This mention of the Inklings was interesting to me mostly because _U.S. News
      and World Report_ doesn't include any literary or entertainment news, unlike
      the other news magazines. This means no celebrity fluff, but it also means
      no book reviews either. I thought it odd then that they should use a
      literary reference for an example of team creativity.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
        Perhaps David was referring to identification of the Inklings as a
        "weekly literary group of Oxford scholars." The group included a
        physician, a retired Army major, et alia.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
          At 07:31 AM 6/13/2007 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

          >What's the third error? Is it that the Narnia books were after
          >the end of the Inklings? When did the Inklings end according to your
          >chronology?

          The third error is, "Both authors generated ideas for their stories in" the
          Inklings. Unless you count Lewis and Tolkien agreeing (but not at the
          Inklings) to write space and time stories, which they then went off by
          themselves and thought up and wrote, the Inklings didn't sit around
          generating story ideas. They critiqued things already written.

          So it doesn't really matter, for purposes of judging the factuality of this
          article, if Narnia postdates the Inklings or not, because Lewis didn't
          generate that or other story ideas there in any case. The article doesn't
          say that stories were critiqued there, only that they were generated there.

          I wrote "at least" three errors. Whether it's accurate to describe the
          Inklings as "Oxford scholars" is debateable - most of them were, and Havard
          and WHL were scholarly in their own way even if not connected with the
          University - and that could be a fourth.

          Wendell's other observations on the significance of this reference are
          interesting. I've passed the original quote on to Diana Glyer.
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
            Now *that* would be cool! i'm hoping the interview today went well...
            (Mars Hill Audio).

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
              In a message dated 6/13/2007 9:57:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              lynnmaudlin@... writes:

              i'm hoping the interview today went well...
              (Mars Hill Audio).

              What interview?

            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
                Diana Glyer has had a series of quite interesting interviews in the
                promoting of _The_Company_They_Keep_ This weekend she's one of the
                featured speakers (w/Paul Ford and someone else, sorry, blanked--) at
                the So.Cal.C.S. Lewis Society symposium (Sat 16th at St. Luke's in
                Monrovia, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 pm, I believe).

                She also had a live radio interview w/Frank Pastore on KKLA (I'm
                pretty sure that's KKLA) a few weeks ago - I missed it, of course --no
                warning!-- but other folks may have caught it). This one, however,
                will be available to subscribers.

                -- Lynn --