RE: [mythsoc] Interesting mention of the Inklings

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2007
      But unfortunately this is erroneous. Lewis was working on, among other
      things, the Ransom trilogy during the active days of the Inklings but
      the Narnia books came after the group's dissolution. Mike.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2007
        That's fascinating. I count at least three factual errors in those two
        sentences, but that's a normal circumstance, and the errors don't diminish
        the basic point, which is quite true. In fact it sounds as if US News &
        World Report has been reading Diana Pavlac Glyer's _The Company They Keep._
        (plug!)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
          In a message dated 6/12/2007 12:00:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          That's fascinating. I count at least three factual errors in those two
          sentences, but that's a normal circumstance, and the errors don't diminish
          the basic point, which is quite true. In fact it sounds as if US News &
          World Report has been reading Diana Pavlac Glyer's _The Company They Keep._
          (plug!)

          I thought about one of the errors (that _The Chronicles of Narnia_ was
          written after _The Lord of the Rings_ was essentially finished), and I would have
          mentioned it but was typing in a hurry, and I realize that you can't talk
          about the _Lord of the Rings_ novels (nor about it being a trilogy), since it's
          one book. What's the third error? Is it that the Narnia books were after
          the end of the Inklings? When did the Inklings end according to your
          chronology?

          It occurred to me that this mention was similar to Glyer's point in her book.

          This mention of the Inklings was interesting to me mostly because _U.S. News
          and World Report_ doesn't include any literary or entertainment news, unlike
          the other news magazines. This means no celebrity fluff, but it also means
          no book reviews either. I thought it odd then that they should use a
          literary reference for an example of team creativity.

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
            Perhaps David was referring to identification of the Inklings as a
            "weekly literary group of Oxford scholars." The group included a
            physician, a retired Army major, et alia.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
              At 07:31 AM 6/13/2007 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

              >What's the third error? Is it that the Narnia books were after
              >the end of the Inklings? When did the Inklings end according to your
              >chronology?

              The third error is, "Both authors generated ideas for their stories in" the
              Inklings. Unless you count Lewis and Tolkien agreeing (but not at the
              Inklings) to write space and time stories, which they then went off by
              themselves and thought up and wrote, the Inklings didn't sit around
              generating story ideas. They critiqued things already written.

              So it doesn't really matter, for purposes of judging the factuality of this
              article, if Narnia postdates the Inklings or not, because Lewis didn't
              generate that or other story ideas there in any case. The article doesn't
              say that stories were critiqued there, only that they were generated there.

              I wrote "at least" three errors. Whether it's accurate to describe the
              Inklings as "Oxford scholars" is debateable - most of them were, and Havard
              and WHL were scholarly in their own way even if not connected with the
              University - and that could be a fourth.

              Wendell's other observations on the significance of this reference are
              interesting. I've passed the original quote on to Diana Glyer.
            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
                Now *that* would be cool! i'm hoping the interview today went well...
                (Mars Hill Audio).

                -- Lynn --

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
                  In a message dated 6/13/2007 9:57:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  lynnmaudlin@... writes:

                  i'm hoping the interview today went well...
                  (Mars Hill Audio).

                  What interview?

                • lynnmaudlin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
                    Diana Glyer has had a series of quite interesting interviews in the
                    promoting of _The_Company_They_Keep_ This weekend she's one of the
                    featured speakers (w/Paul Ford and someone else, sorry, blanked--) at
                    the So.Cal.C.S. Lewis Society symposium (Sat 16th at St. Luke's in
                    Monrovia, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 pm, I believe).

                    She also had a live radio interview w/Frank Pastore on KKLA (I'm
                    pretty sure that's KKLA) a few weeks ago - I missed it, of course --no
                    warning!-- but other folks may have caught it). This one, however,
                    will be available to subscribers.

                    -- Lynn --