CW conference: call for papers

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2007
      Notice the topic: plenty of room for WIlliams-and-Lewis, and even
      WIlliams-and-Tolkien, discussion!

      >Call for Papers:
      >
      >Conference Organised by the Charles Williams Society;
      >
      >Charles Williams and His Contemporaries.
      >
      >St. Hilda's College, Oxford, U.K. 4th/6th July 2008.
      >
      >The conference aims at setting the life and work of Charles Williams (1886 -
      >1945) in its context. Of particular interest, of course, will be papers on
      >Williams himself and papers which deal with the lives and work of those who
      >knew him in London and/or Oxford, and, arguably, influenced him or were
      >influenced by him (e.g. Coventry Patmore, Alice Meynell, A.E. Waite, Robert
      >Bridges, J.R.R. Tolkien, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis, Evelyn Underhill, Dorothy
      >L. Sayers, W.H Auden, John Heath-Stubbs) But papers need not be confined to
      >these areas and submissions on a variety of aspects of the period will be
      >welcomed. They may cover literary, theological, historical, biographical
      >ground.
      >
      >Those attending the conference are likely to be people from a wide range of
      >backgrounds -some extremely knowledgeable about Williams and others much
      >less so. Papers as presented should be prepared with this in mind - though
      >versions for publication will need the usual supporting apparatus of
      >footnotes, references etc.
      >
      >We are asking that papers last approximately 20 - 25 minutes; 4,000 - 6,000
      >words.
      >
      >Academic panel: Dr. Suzanne Bray (Lille Catholic University), Dr. Brian
      >Horne (King's College, London), Professor Grevel Lindop (Manchester
      >University), Dr. Stephen Medcalf (Sussex University). (Prof. Charles
      >Huttar, Hope College, Holland, USA)
      >
      >Please send any questions and propositions for papers (250 - 350 words) to
      >Dr. Richard Sturch at charles_wms_soc@...
      ><mailto:charles_wms_soc@...> by 11th January 2008. (There are
      >underlines in the spaces between the words 'charles', 'wms' and 'soc')
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2007
        oh, that would be a nice way to spend the day after my birthday!
        *drool*... I might even try to write a paper, in the meantime, as I
        float... the Archbishop of Canterbury is the President of the Charles
        Williams Society! wow, I did not know that.

        -- Lynn --