Re: [mythsoc] Re: Shannara Movies. Umm, why?!

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
      When I was in grad school, a friend who was moving give me a big box of
      fantasy and science fiction books. Many of them were pretty forgetable,
      but it was something to read, so I read quite a few. When I got to the
      first book of Shannara, something (I don't recall what) annoyed me
      enough that I gave up after a few pages and never went back. In this
      case I suppose there is a chance the movie could actually be better than
      the book, though the way the movie industry works I wouldn't bet on it.

      I did actually like the Thomas Covenant series when I was in high
      school. When I tried to read them later on, I ended up giving them away.

      Ellen Denham

      Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:

      > >And BTW, I had no idea there were *14* of those books! I only read
      > >the first one myself, back in the early 1980's; and it was
      > >disappointing enough that I never picked up another one.
      >
      > Same here, Jason. I could never understand why the series was
      > apparently so popular. I have the same problem with Thomas Covenant.
      >
      > Cathy

    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
        Ellen, maybe that's the secret of the Thomas Covenant books - high
        school, *maybe* college age readers. I found it unreadable and plowed
        through, uphill all the way, because the author was a GOH some years
        back. Then I met him and *he* was delightful, lots of fun, accessible,
        and so I started to read the second in the series and ground to a halt
        almost immediately.

        I learned the hard truth: there are people I really like as people
        that I don't enjoy as authors. Probably the opposite is true, too, but
        I don't know THAT many authors...

        -- Lynn --