Re: Shannara Movies. Umm, why?!

  • Cathy Akers-Jordan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
      >And BTW, I had no idea there were *14* of those books! I only read
      >the first one myself, back in the early 1980's; and it was
      >disappointing enough that I never picked up another one.

      Same here, Jason. I could never understand why the series was
      apparently so popular. I have the same problem with Thomas Covenant.

      Cathy
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
        When I was in grad school, a friend who was moving give me a big box of
        fantasy and science fiction books. Many of them were pretty forgetable,
        but it was something to read, so I read quite a few. When I got to the
        first book of Shannara, something (I don't recall what) annoyed me
        enough that I gave up after a few pages and never went back. In this
        case I suppose there is a chance the movie could actually be better than
        the book, though the way the movie industry works I wouldn't bet on it.

        I did actually like the Thomas Covenant series when I was in high
        school. When I tried to read them later on, I ended up giving them away.

        Ellen Denham

        Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:

        > >And BTW, I had no idea there were *14* of those books! I only read
        > >the first one myself, back in the early 1980's; and it was
        > >disappointing enough that I never picked up another one.
        >
        > Same here, Jason. I could never understand why the series was
        > apparently so popular. I have the same problem with Thomas Covenant.
        >
        > Cathy

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
          Ellen, maybe that's the secret of the Thomas Covenant books - high
          school, *maybe* college age readers. I found it unreadable and plowed
          through, uphill all the way, because the author was a GOH some years
          back. Then I met him and *he* was delightful, lots of fun, accessible,
          and so I started to read the second in the series and ground to a halt
          almost immediately.

          I learned the hard truth: there are people I really like as people
          that I don't enjoy as authors. Probably the opposite is true, too, but
          I don't know THAT many authors...

          -- Lynn --