Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon publicity

    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 7, 2007
      It'd be a good thing if someone familiar with MySpace created a page there
      for the Society. But the information should probably mostly be adapted
      from the Society web page, and done with the cooperation of Society
      publicity officers. I hope that doesn't sound dampening: it's just that
      this would be an official Society presence and should be accurate both in
      facts and in the its expression of the type of Society we are. And this
      needs participation of people experienced in the Society for the same
      reason that Mythcons should be run by people who've been to some.

      I think Cole's introduction is ample demonstration, if the Tolkien Library
      folks weren't so already, that there are intelligent, well-read younger
      people out there, just as there were 30 and 40 years ago, and we don't have
      to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator to attract them.
      There's plenty of other places for people who want that to go to; for
      people who want The Mythopoeic Society, there's The Mythopoeic Society.

      Cole mentions cost of Mythcons as a problem. Well, it is, and one thing
      has changed: since we do have so many older people than we used to,
      physical comfort of the surroundings is at more of a premium. But that
      mostly expresses itself in more Mythcon attendees taking en-suite
      accommodations than the dorms, and dorm rooms are still on offer. We still
      hold Mythcons usually on college campuses rather than in hotels, because
      hotels just don't offer the community feeling that campuses do, and the
      campuses are less expensive. The general expensiveness of the world is, of
      course, beyond our control.

      One major Mythcon cost problem is that Mythcons travel around and can be
      far away. But that also means that they can be close on occasion. The
      Society was founded in Los Angeles, and most of the early Mythcons were
      thereabouts, latterly with excursions to Northern California. That was
      great for those who lived there, which many members did, but anyone who
      lived elsewhere - an increasing percentage as time went on - was
      continually out of luck. Now as we move about, there's more opportunity to
      find a Mythcon near you. Stick around, please!
    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole