Re: [mythsoc] Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • Elena Rossi
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 3, 2007
      --- WendellWag@... wrote:

      <...> So if we
      > spent four cents apiece to print 1000 Mythcon
      > flyers (for a total of forty
      > dollars) and we had committee people and friends
      > hit a dozen local science
      > fiction cons (and some other important cons) and put
      > 50 to 100 flyers out at each
      > con, we did O.K. if we recruited 10 people that
      > way.

      I suggest that when a Mythcon is announced, an
      internet space (a bulletin board, forum, whatever) is
      set up in order to help interested people get in touch
      with each other and organize car pooling or something
      similar...
      If some people give up participating because of travel
      expenses, maybe this could help.

      Also (as for filming is concerned), I think permission
      could be directly asked in the registration
      form...Usually people have no problems with being
      filmed; anyway those who don't want to appear could be
      given something to wear (a badge of a differnt colour,
      or something like that) so that they could be easily
      avoided during shooting (or shots with them edited out
      when assembling the video).

      Regards
      Elena

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole