Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 2, 2007
      I suspect tapping local fans directly is as impactful as anything (I
      like throwing the room parties and we had one at the 1984 Worldcon, I
      think we got a slight bump in Society memberships from that).

      Washington D.C. and Nashville are the two Mythcons I've missed, sine
      joining the society - very sad because I know they were two terrific
      events... ah, well, when I have access to the time machine, you know?!

      -- Lynn --

      > In a message dated 6/1/2007 6:20:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > lynnmaudlin@... writes:
      >
      > How did you do in Washington? Did you succeed in getting many young
      > folks? How did you market Mythcon 25 to them?
      >

      > 252 attendees. We spent a lot of money on publicity. Room parties
      at some
      > local cons and flyers to everyone on a list of local fans that Irv
      Koch had
      > produced. Calls for papers flyers to a lot of university English
      departments.

      > Wendell Wagner

    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole