Mythcon publicity/technology/Intel Property Rts. ruminations

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 2 1:01 AM
      ("*AND* permission to use it as a publicity tool for
      future Mythcons from everyone visible in the
      video..." Fr. Lynn M.)

      Ohhh Booy today this means getting a signed release
      from everyone in the room/field/sidewalk where the
      footage was shot.

      Is life getting too micromanaged?

      Yes, people need to compensated for their
      intellectual/creative output. Even bystanders/ extras.

      But my dad regularly taped '50s music off the radio
      for us to take in. He, the morally impeccable type,
      would be called a PIRATE today.

      As would I, for taping all those Mahler/Bruckner
      symphonies (I couldn't afford to buy at Music
      City)--off KFAC AM so I could familiarize myself with
      them. All on an old Reel-to-Reel cooled by a room fan.
      (1966-69)

      Intellectual Property law has moved on so far since
      those days!

      Yeah, and all the phones were BLACK. And attached to
      the wall by 5 foot cords so we couldn't get no privacy
      unless we were awarded with our
      own Princess Phone.(I didn't qualify!) All FanFic
      transactions (my friend & I did Tolkien FanFic in
      '67-69) took place by such primitive means.
      Wow, Pre-I-net. Bonnie
      ******************
      --- lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan
      > <bonolatm@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > David, Wendell, & all. Good discussion. Mirroring
      > > my concerns from way back.
      > >
      > > ...How do we get sample CD videos of our events to
      > > potential audience? Just a thought.
      > >
      > > Bonnie
      >
      > First we would have to have some decent footage shot
      > *AND* permission
      > to use it as a publicity tool for future Mythcons
      > from everyone
      > visible in the video...

    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11 8:35 AM
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole