Re: [mythsoc] Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 46 , May 31, 2007
      From: "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...>

      >>>Kim Jaudon <kim4fsu@...> wrote:
      >>>While most on this list probably attend Mythcon as part of work,
      > others attend through only love of the subject.
      >
      > Am I wrong to guess that the opposite is true?
      >

      > But amateur though I am, and attendee of only one-and-a-half Mythcons,
      > I agree with Kim's assessment: time rather than distance (in North
      > America, at least) is what determines my conference attendance.

      I'm another non-professional Mythie who goes for the love of it (and, of
      course, the love of this year's chair).

      One thing to bear in mind, though, is that sometimes life gets in the way
      and a Mythcon isn't held where originally planned for that year. Last year
      was supposed to be in Seattle with this year's in Oklahoma. The Seattle bid
      decided it was not doable for them last year and Janet stepped up to the
      plate to do Oklahoma's a year earlier. So if you're told in advance, plan
      on it being in place X and then it turns out to be in place Y, people can
      get upset about that as well. The replacement team can't always get a
      facility on the same weekend.

      (Last year was not the only Mythcon I've attended that had been changed.
      The last Long Beach Mythcon was put on by the Council of Stewards after a
      bid collapsed in the Midwest. The part of the country it's held in can
      change radically.)

      Berni
    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole