Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 46 , May 31, 2007
      As I said in my earlier email, people interested in organizing
      Mythcons should contact me (mythcon AT mythsoc.org) and I'll work with
      them.

      In terms of location, first you consider your committee possibilities
      - do you have any local professors in your circle that might be
      willing to be site liaison (to get a preferred rate on campus)?
      Someone upthread suggested contacting local college/universities and
      asking if they've got any professors w/Tolkien, Lewis, Williams,
      Inklings, even Sayers or Linguistic specializations, and then send off
      some emails, explaining who the Mythopoeic Society is and would they
      be interested in acting as a site liaison, *if* said
      college/university offers a preferred rate for their staff.

      Many hotels will comp meeting space for a certain number of guaranteed
      room nights; we've tended to avoid hotels because they are perceived
      as more expensive (price of the room, price of the food) - but it's
      something to consider, especially if they're willing and able to
      provide a meal package so that we can have community meals (the 2004
      Michigan Mythcon housed & fed us breakfast/dinner in a hotel, as well
      as evening programming). Lately Mythcons run around 100 members
      (85-120, by and large, with an exceptional Mythcon nearly 200 persons,
      so we're small).

      Just because Mythcon *usually* does it a certain way does NOT mean
      that's the ONLY way to do it, you know?

      Another consideration is ease of getting to the location. This year in
      Berkeley, that's easy - San Francisco and Oakland both have *tons* of
      flights, are served by Southwest Airlines (therefore competitively
      priced flights; follow the sales). Last year in Norman, OK, it was a
      little harder and I think that impacted membership numbers (a pity,
      too, because it was a great site and a terrific Mythcon - I will
      *never* forget that banquet!).

      So yes, my pretties, send me an email! And know that the Stewards are
      working on a Mythcon Wiki which will replace the perpetually
      out-of-date Mythcon Planner's Manual, so there will be a central
      repository of All Knowledge Mythconnic... <grin>

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

      > ...How should local bid committees locate venues for such
      > an event, esp. if none have a current liasion with an
      > academic institution? What's the
      > step-by-step that folks should follow in organizing
      > such a bid?
    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole