Mythcon organizing

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      I just wanted to follow up on something that may be an unspoken
      assumption that isn't necessarily true--that Mythcon venues must be
      academic institutions. While most have been held upon college
      campuses, there have been several in hotels, such as the San Diego
      Mythcon in the 90s and one of the Colorado ones. And if you haven't a
      direct liaison with an academic institution, it might be possible to
      ally with a professor or two, or even students, if you can only find
      them. But obvious approaches, calling a department and asking the head
      or even the secretary if anyone in the department is interested in (or
      teaches) Tolkien, C.S. Lewis or SF & Fantasy, can lead to fruitful
      outcomes.

      In any case, if you're interested in trying to hold one, even though
      you aren't sure how to get started, contact Lynn and maybe she'll have
      some ideas, or know of resources in your area. The last Milwaukee
      Mythcon was chaired by someone in Madison and there were committee
      members in Eau Claire and Minnesota as well as in Milwaukee and
      Madison. The last Illinois conference had committee members all over
      the country.

      On May 31, 2007, at 6:44 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons
      > Posted by: "Bonnie Callahan" bonolatm@...   bgcmeowrrrrr
      >
      > Thu May 31, 2007 2:52 am (PST)
      > And here's another important issue:
      >
      > How should local bid committees locate venues for such
      > an event, esp. if none have a current liasion with an
      > academic institution? What's the
      > step-by-step that folks should follow in organizing
      > such a bid?
      >
      > I've worked cons, but not that angle--don't know a
      > whole lot about it. And newer Society members may be
      > completely uninformed, but eager to learn.
      >
      > Bonnie
      > *************
      > --- lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
      >
      > > This might be a good point to throw out the
      > > INVITATION to any
      > > interested party to consider the possibility of
      > > organizing a Mythcon.
      > > As the Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences, I would
      > > be *delighted* to
      > > work with any willing soul to see if they can't pull
      > > together a
      > > committee and secure a location, etc.
      David Lenander, Library Manager
      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services
      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612) 626-3375 fax: (612) 626-2454 home: (651) 292-8887;
      (651) 697-1807
      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page:
      http://umn.edu/~d-lena/OnceUponATime.html