Re: [mythsoc] Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 46 , May 31, 2007
      Boy, it seemed I opened a can of worms by asking a question. Thanks for
      the reply, Lynn.

      I understand that you can't publicize something that is not 100% nailed
      down yet. I don't have a strong opinion on needing to know way in
      advance, but in my case, knowing a little more than a year in advance
      would be helpful, so I can save the dates and figure out whether I can
      make it work around other summer travel obligations. In my husband's
      case, he can potentially get some money from his university to attend,
      but I'm not sure how much advance time he needs for this. I have a
      writing workshop that is every year at the end of July, and depending on
      the dates and the distance, I might not be able to attend both.

      I realize that this amount of advance planning might not always be
      practical, but I think shooting for something like 18 months out for an
      official announcement could be a good goal to work towards (and yes,
      depending on what is involved and where the con is, I am willing to help
      with planning).

      Ellen Denham

      Jason Fisher wrote:

      > FWIW, I agree with those who've said they need more than a year's notice.
      > Mythcon -- like all the conferences I attend -- comes out of my own
      > pocket (though I was lucky enough to get a very generous "starving
      > scholar" grant from the Society for last year), and being able to
      > attend requires considerable planning. Like many who've chimed in
      > already, my dance card starts to fill up pretty quickly. To give you
      > an idea, I already have commitments in April and May of *next* year.
      > So the more notice, the better.
      > And -- let's just be realistic -- sometimes it's very true that people
      > might find one year's Mythcon too expensive but next year's more
      > affordable. And yes, there's the chance that turnout could be somewhat
      > depressed by the foreknowledge of a "cheaper" venue for the following
      > year. But so? If the turnout ends up *strongly* depressed because of
      > this, then isn't it a sign that the more expensive venue may have been
      > poorly chosen? I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm speaking
      > generally, *not* talking specifically about Berkeley. (But okay, let
      > the flames engulf me! I'm ready!)
      > For those of us not relying on institutional support for travel,
      > lodging, and conference expenses (not to mention time off from a
      > day-job), this is really something that must be considered. For
      > myself, I'll be at any Mythcon I can *afford* to attend; I'm not
      > looking for reasons to skip one. But additional notice if always
      > helpful and might just save me from breaking my bank account.
      > Jason

    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole