Re: Announcements of Future Mythcons

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 46 , May 30 8:43 PM
      Hi David (waves, *the personification of Mythcon* ??! oh my--),

      You know, maybe the policy changed after I left the Council (I believe
      you continued on some time thereafter, didn't you?)-- and perhaps I am
      mistating the current Council policy. I will, in fact, go back and
      query the Stewards.

      But, in any case, we do NOT YET have a firm proposal for 2008. We are
      working with some people and we hope very much that it works out
      because it would be terrific --and, for what it's worth, I fully
      expect that it will-- but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to give
      any kind of "it's probably going to be in XYZ," at least not until I
      get permission to do so.

      I'm not sure that I've ever been on the "don't tell until the current
      Mythcon is underway" side of the debate-- but the argument was always
      that folks might choose not to attend THIS year if NEXT year is more
      convenient - and I can't argue with that argument; some people might
      very well make that decision. And, frankly, I think that is their
      perogative! Mythcon is always a choice, not a burden.

      I was just trying to keep speculation from running rampant before an
      actual proposal is accepted. But maybe I shouldn't worry about rampant
      speculation, eh?!

      oh well--

      I DO believe that it would be useful to professorial-types (basically
      anyone who needs to put in a request for financial aid to attend what
      is, for them, a work-related conference) if they could know 18 months
      ahead and I think it would be wonderful if Mythcons were routinely
      planned that far in advance-- at this moment, we're kind of playing
      catch up, me thinks... there was one time I recall when we actually
      had 3 future Mythcons all lined up - ah, that felt good!

      so yes, will go back and query Council because I may be entirely wrong...

      blessings, y'all--
      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Lenander <d-lena@...> wrote:

      > I wanted to respond to Lynn's explication of (?!! current) policy on
      > Mythcon advance announcements. When I came on to the council, back
      > in the 80s, this was policy, but after extensive arguments I believe
      > it was reversed. I'm very sorry to hear that it's been reinstated.
      > I think that the premise is wrong, or only sometimes accurate (that
      > people will not come to Mythcon if there's going to be one next year
      > that's more convenient), while the other side, that a year's notice
      > is insufficient for some people to attend is far more likely. We
      > announced Mythcon 24 and its theme well over a year in advance. Of
      > course, we had some problems with changing guests of honor, when our
      > original Scholar choice didn't respond for months, and then in the
      > negative, and our Writer pulled out after initial announcements had
      > gone out. I believe that much of the success of Mythcon 24 (one of
      > the most financially successful Mythcons up to that point, and I
      > believe successful on several other levels) was due to the
      > announcements. A number of guests who'd never attended a Mythcon
      > before, or even been aware of the Society, came because they had more
      > time to think about and then decide to attend; several were able to
      > obtain institutional support because of the advance announcement.
      > While a year would seem to be sufficient, it takes a while for
      > publicity to start getting out those announcements after the August
      > announcement, and if you don't learn of a conference until November
      > or December or January, the department budget is already gone, or
      > you've previously committed to attending some regional MLA thing or
      > something with the IAFA or whatever, so your allotment is gone.
      >
      > It's particularly crucial for inexperienced committees, I think. It
      > just took us a while to really get going on some things (Mythcons are
      > a lot more complicated than a lot of SF cons, or even more literary
      > or professional conferences, because there are so many diverse
      > expectations and rules, even though they're usually small). I
      > wouldn't consider trying to bid for another Mythcon in the twin
      > cities with only a year's time to put it together. We assisted with
      > the Mythcon 30 organization, when Richard West agreed to pick up for
      > a failed bid at the last minute, but Richard and others had already
      > been planning a Bree Moot 4 at that point.
      >
      > Being in the Society we've often "known" where the likely bid was
      > going to be approved, and started tentative planning in that
      > direction--but for those we want to find and invite in to join us,
      > this isn't going to happen if they don't have any way of hearing
      > about likely rumors. I thought that the reason that we'd gone to
      > having less advance notice was simply because there were no bids put
      > together sufficiently to have received Council approval. I believe
      > that Mythcons would be somewhat larger and healthier if approved
      > paper calls, theme, dates, locations (at least the city) could be
> [...]
    • Cole C Matson
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 11, 2007
        My thanks to everyone for their welcoming replies. I'm consolidating my responses into one post so as not to clog up your mailboxes. Wendell: I'm not sure my class paper would be of high enough quality to stand alongside other Mythcon presenters, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it up to snuff for submission. Thank you very much for the Knossos schedule. Emerdavid: Of course pun intended. Re: the MySpace page: The reason I didn't volunteer to create one was because of exactly the reasons David Bratman mentioned. I've only been a member a few months; if a page were to be created, it should be created by someone in an official capacity. And I wholeheartedly agree with David when he said, "We don't have to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator." If that happened for the sake of attracting members, much of the value of the Society would be lost. The trick is not to change it so that more people want to join, but to let more people know about it so that those people (like me) who would say, "Wow, such a thing EXISTS!?" will find what they've already been searching for. (Btw, I found out about the Soc. through Google - I was searching either for Lord of the Rings sites, or for sites about the Inklings, if I remember correctly.) Ellen: I am also on LiveJournal. I know there are several Tolkien/Lewis communities, some of which actually have good discussion. (On the "tolkien" community, someone just tried to post their "fanpics" of male LOTR characters engaging in romantic relationships with each other, and links to their club for the encouragement of the same. Several other members of the community gently but firmly suggested that, while that person had the right to post whatever he/she wanted, those drawings might not be quite appropriate for a community of people who were serious about discussing, among other topics, the moral and spiritual themes of the Middle-Earth Legendarium - oh, and they also weren't very respectful of the author's own beliefs. [Kind of like the LOTR tarot deck I saw sold at the Renn Faire where I work. The owner didn't care. It made me sad.] I was surprised to find on LJ something more than just rabid movie fans.) Lynn: Thank you for the tip about the "Starving Scholars" fund! Don't worry, I will be sticking around, and will try to make it to the next Mythcon (or Knossos meeting) I can. Cole