Re: Alexander, Kestrel and war

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2007
      > > Personally, I think that Alexander's finest work was the
      > > _Westmark_ trilogy, especially the middle volume, _The Kestrel_.

      I recently came across an interview in which Alexander said the
      descriptions of the horrors of war in The Kestrel came from his
      personal experience in WWII. He'd been an eager recruit, hoping to be a
      hero, till those visions collided hard with bloody reality. That, like
      Tolkien's war experience, explained a whole lot in his books. It also
      fits right into T. Shippey's ideas (in Tolkien, Author of the 20th
      Century) that a significant number of 20th-century fantasists were
      writing out of an experience of war and the horrors of war.

      Pauline