Grima Worm-tongue imitator

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      I just have to express my strong objection to paralleling Hitler with
      Bin-Laden without careful qualification. The latter may be just as
      evil in intention, I don't know. But he's a leader of a once-small
      (if worrisome) band of stateless bandits and terrorists, now rather
      larger band of stateless bandits and terrorists, not the leader of
      the most powerful nation-state on earth. If he's still alive at all.
      The War On Terror has more similarity to the War on Poverty than our
      adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan have in common with WW2. Of
      course, my two nephews are presumably heading to Iraq by next fall,
      and they may end up just as dead as many who died in WW2, or Korea
      or Vietnam. If so, I hope that it contributes to emergent democracy
      in Iraq. But the hope seems forlorn.

      On May 25, 2007, at 5:52 AM, "William Cloud Hicklin"
      solicitr@... wrote:

      > It's one thing to oppose Shrub's hamhanded and
      > pigheaded policies, and quite another to pretend
      > that Bin-Laden doesn't mean to do precisely what he
      > has said he is going to do- just like poor innocent
      > peace-loving Hitler and his little book that too
      > few took seriously until too late. The former is
      > loyal opposition; the latter is either denial, or
      > approaches petit-traison.

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.