Re: [mythsoc] Alexander and other writers, under the influence?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2007
      At 10:16 AM 5/30/2007 -0500, David Lenander wrote:

      >It's interesting to think, though, that both Garner and Alexander did
      >not read Tolkien until after they'd written their Tolkienesque
      >books.

      That's one reason I was careful not to write "influenced by Tolkien," but
      "evoked his work or otherwise gave the impression that the authors knew
      that he had passed before them," which is really more a description of how
      they strike the reader rather than of the author's intent (e.g. "gave the
      impression the authors knew" - one can't be certain of that without word
      from the author). And, of course, even if there is influence it need not
      lead to similarity.