Re: Angus McBride dies

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2007
      >>---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
      >>...Tolkien artist Angus McBride also died earlier this month
      (around May 16th, I think). Apparently he was 76 -- much older than
      I would have suspected-- and living in Ireland, having recently moved
      there from South Africa.

      I'm sorry to hear that. There was an online discussion of McBride's
      work that very week at TheOneRing.net, though no one there knew of
      his death:

      http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
      post=23537

      From the comments by the discussion leader, "squire":

      "McBride is boringly, but also refreshingly, straight. He’s very
      professional, and very literal: Gandalf at the gate, Treebeard with
      the hobbits, Rohirrim mowing down orcs. Just like the book -- as I
      think you’d expect from a professional illustrator whose background
      for thirty years has been in researching and recreating historical
      battle scenes, rather than imagining fantasy images...

      Let’s hear it for Angus McBride, an illustrator’s illustrator!"

      -Merlin DeTardo