Mythcon in 2008

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2007
      I'm curious whether it has been decided where Mythcon will be in 2008.
      I'd like to get to Berkeley this summer, but I have a lot of other stuff
      going on, like a family wedding and a writing workshop, which ends just
      a week before Mythcon. Having some idea of the dates and location for
      next year may help me decide.

      If it has not been decided yet, at what point can we expect to find out?

      Thanks,

      Ellen Denham

    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2007
        Ellen, with the exception of the two UK Tolkien Society Conferences
        which incorporated Mythcon, it is the Mythopoeic Society's policy
        *not* to publicize an upcoming Mythcon until the current Mythcon has
        started, for exactly this reason: some people might say, "well, next
        year is more convenient for me so I just won't go THIS year..." and
        that's not in our best interest. The current conference committee is
        working very hard to put together a terrific event and they tend to
        feel undermined if the specifics of the following year's event is out
        there too early; I'm speaking generically, not specifically of
        Berkeley. There was much discussion among the Council of Stewards to
        give permission to publicize the Tolkien Centenary Conference but, due
        to the extraordinary circumstances, it was allowed in a "start saving
        your money now!" kind of approach.

        We do anticipate that the details (date and location) of the 2008
        Mythopoeic Conference will be announced and memberships for Mythcon 39
        --2008-- will be sold) at Berkeley.

        *sorry*

        -- Lynn -- (Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences...)