Re: [mythsoc] Re: it's not in Tolkien

    Message 1 of 84 , May 23, 2007
      Can we at least spell it right? It's "Wizard Fu" not "foo". The usage comes from the parodic film critic Joe Bob Briggs, who after having seen too many movies with kung-fu fighting in them, began describing any over-elaborate or implausible fight scene, especially in bad movies, as ___ Fu, with the blank usually filled in by who was fighting, thus Monkey Fu or Bimbo Fu or whatever. Thus: bad movie? check. Over-elaborate and implausible fight scene? check. Performed by wizards? Therefore, Wizard Fu.

      And it's just that easy.

      Tolkien as a linguist would probably be fascinated by this sort of usage. You can also this employment of key nouns with a fortuitous suffex in "---burger" (tofuburger, turkeyburger, etc.) even though the original hamburger did not have ham; and in political scandals ending in -gate even though the original Watergate had nothing to do with water.
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!