  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2007
      I just learned of this conference at my own campus, apparently being
      put on by grad students in the U of MN English Dept.....

      Fantasy Matters Conference Call for Papers
      University of
      Minnesota
      Nov. 16-18, 2007
      Call for Papers: Fantasy Matters conference, November 16-18, 2007
      University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
      Extended Deadline

      June 15, 2007

      Fantasy literature is everywhere these days. Whether it�s Eragon at
      the box office or the latest Harry Potter at the bookstore, fantasy
      literature seems to have captured the public�s imagination and run
      away with it. In spite of, or perhaps because of this popularity,
      however, fantasy literature still isn�t taken as seriously as other,
      more �canonical� literature.

      This conference takes the position that fantasy literature does
      matter, and plays an important role not only in popular culture, but
      also in the realm of literature itself. Neil Gaiman, author of the
      Sandman series of graphic novels, and Jack Zipes, noted scholar of
      fairy tales and folklore, will be the keynote speakers at the
      conference.

      All papers related to fantasy literature are welcome, but
      participants are encouraged to consider the question of the
      importance of fantasy literature when forming their submissions. We
      also welcome authors to participate in this discussion, either by
      serving on panels or by sharing their own creative works.

      Potential panel discussions include:

      The relationship between fantasy literature and "canonical" literature
      The role of fantasy literature in childhood
      Narrative strategies in fantasy literature
      Issues of race, gender, and sexuality in fantasy literature
      The use of source material in fantasy literature
      The relationship between fantasy literature and its adaptation(s) in
      film
      Scholars of fantasy literature at any level (fan, undergraduate,
      graduate, or professional) are invited to submit abstract proposals
      of 250 words. Scholars should plan for a 15-minute presentation with
      5 minutes for questions; they may also submit entire panels for
      consideration, planning for three 15-minute papers per panel.

      Authors of fantasy literature who would like to present their work
      are encouraged to submit a 5-page sample of the piece they intend to
      read. Authors should plan for a 30-minute reading.

      All submissions should be sent to submissions@....

      For further information, please visit www.fantasymatters.org or send
      questions to inquiries@....

      Those submitting proposals will be notified of their status by July
      31, 2007.

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887

      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2007
        At 10:52 PM 5/23/2007 -0500, David Lenander wrote:

        >I just learned of this conference at my own campus, apparently being
        >put on by grad students in the U of MN English Dept.....
        >
        >Fantasy Matters Conference Call for Papers
        >University of Minnesota
        >Nov. 16-18, 2007
        >Call for Papers: Fantasy Matters conference, November 16-18, 2007

        This looks fascinating, and I'm sending them a paper proposal.

        I especially like that the conference is being held in the fall. What with
        Mythcons and Worldcons always between late July and early September, most
        of my conference traveling is in high summer, and I'm tired of the constant
        summer heat wherever I go. A little cool sounds very appealing, and even
        if there's a major snowstorm, well, I don't have to _live_ in Minnesota,
        and at least it's not like anything we get in San Francisco.