RE: [mythsoc] JRRT/David Jones

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 13 , May 18 3:21 PM
      Adam Schwartz writes:
      "J acknowledged T in the preface to the Anathemata, though is never more
      specific about what he read that was so influential. My guess would be
      "On Fairy Stories," but there is no way of being sure. J read The
      Hobbitt; in the 1950s, he told Colin Wilcockson that he thought he would
      like LOTR, but that he could not get past the bit he heard on the
      wireless (which would be what?). It does not seem that he came back to
      it later. J and T never met, and it is most unlikely that J would have
      ever heard T lecture, as J became more and more agoraphobic over time
      and rarely left his room in private hotels in London. There is no
      evidence that T read J, though Lewis did refer briefly to The Anathemata
      in his Cambridge inaugural address."
      For more on David Jones, see Schwartz' THE THIRD SPRING (2005), a fine
      study of Jones, G.K. Chesterton, Graham Greene, and Christopher Dawson
      as convert Catholic writers.
      Mike