Ware! Woe! Wargs in the Westfold!

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2007
      > The warg attack on the Rohirrim was also an invented
      > scene, although to be fair, PJ DID admit during the
      > behind-the-scene documentaries that it was not in the
      > book, and it was a logical addition because somewhere
      > in books, there was talk among the fellowship about
      > wargs roaming around.

      This idea of a warg attack with warg-riders in the Westfold of Rohan (though admittedly not against Th�oden & Co.) has another basis in Tolkien's writings � although not in a text with quite the same canonicity as LotR. In Unfinished Tales, in the essay and jottings on "The Battles of the Fords of Isen", Th�odred's companies come up against "dreadful Orcish wolfriders" in the First Battle of the Fords of Isen. This battle was only about a week before Th�oden's company would reach the same environs (see "The Tale of Years" in LotR for the dates). Then, in the Second Battle of the Fords of Isen, Elfhelm too faced "several troops of the dreaded wolfriders", and this was just the day before Th�oden reached a position only a little east of the Fords. (As you're recall from LotR, Gandalf warned Th�oden away from the Fords, directing him to a more defensible position at Helm's Deep instead.)

      So IMO it's perfectly reasonable, if Jackson wanted to invent an exciting scene, to suppose wargs and warg-riders could still be in the vicinity at the time Th�oden & Co. rode west from Edoras. This deviation from the source is minor indeed compared to a great many of the others. (And note that I'm *not* giving Jackson credit for knowledge of Unfinished Tales. :)

      Jason Fisher