Re: [mythsoc] Mary-Jane Baggins?

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 8:45 PM
      Unfortunately, I think the psychedelic covers of the 60s might have helped
      toward that conflation. I heard (long before I read him) that Tolkien had a
      kind of "drug" connection. Being counter-counterculture, it took me a long
      while to finally read the books, and when I finally did read them, of
      course, Longbottom Leaf and other varieties were CLEARLY labelled TOBACCO,
      and I could never figure out how folks made the "drug" connections. These
      days, since marijuana is likely more "priviledged" than tobacco, some could
      twit JRRT for another kind of "drug" connection----niccotine. ---djb