Tolkien and Kierkegaard

  • ROCK_103
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2007
      Does anyone on this list know whether Tolkien had read the Danish
      philosopher Soren Kierkegaard? It seems to me that they share many
      ideas, and that The Lord of the Rings in many aspects agree with
      Christian existentialism. I wouldn't think that Tolkien took ideas
      directly from Kierkegaard since Tolkiens existentialist themes are
      very personal and original, but he might have been inspired or just
      interested.

      Best wishes,
      Peter Edelberg
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2007
        I don't know whether Tolkien read Kierkegaard. Charles Williams read
        Kierkegaard and liked his stuff enough that he helped get more of Kierkegaard into
        print in English. C. S. Lewis read Kierkegaard and said that other people
        might find his writings interesting but he got nothing from them himself.