Awards etc

  • W.B.Honey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
      Terri Windling does the fantasy section of the Year's Best Fantasy and
      Horror. good writer and editor too. Fantasy not horror.

      >From: W.B.Honey <redsamael@...>
      >
      >I too had pretty much forgotten I'd joined this list.

      Glad you're back . . . jump right in and start discussing your most
      recent fantastic (fantasy) reads! We love new faces (even if they're
      only new to us) and I'm fairly new to this list.

      >I saw the Mythopoeic Award nominations in Ansible, but not listed on the
      Mythopoeic website. Are they official yet?

      >Red

      >>Tomorrow's the last day for the vote on the "final list." We'd love to
      have your input on next year's Mythopoeic Awards committee. ---djb.<<

      Does that mean the ansible list wasn't the final list, or that the final
      votes for who won on that list are still to come?

      I thought it was an interesting list. Stardust would be easily my favorite
      pick for the adult fantasies: it's a book I must have reread three or four
      times now, and it seems to unpick (like a Gene Wolfe novel) from something
      that, on first reading seemed light and funny and almost an exercise in
      pastiche (Hope Mirrlees, Dunsany, Cabell, jack Vance, maybe E. Nesbit) to
      something that seemed to get deeper and more intricate with each reading.
      And to have more of a moral, too. I thought it very appropriate too that the
      awards nominated the illustrated edition - I'm sure JRRT would have liked
      something like that.

      No interest in the Lord of the Rings movies. My head has not yet managed to
      expunge the taste of the BBC Narnia films.

      Red

    • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
        I can't seem to keep up with all you interesting souls, but I have found a
        book, an anthology, called After The King, stories in honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
        that is edited by Martin H Greenberg. This is a good read.
        Speaking of Terri Windling, she has a web site up and running. It is
        called The Endicott Studio of Mythic Arts and the web address is
        http://www.endicott-studio.com
        Thanks for all the email
        Ron Speer
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
          W.B.Honey wrote:

          > >I saw the Mythopoeic Award nominations in Ansible, but not listed on the Mythopoeic website. Are they official yet?
          > >
          > >Red
          >
          > >>Tomorrow's the last day for the vote on the "final list." We'd love to
          > have your input on next year's Mythopoeic Awards committee. ---djb.<<
          >
          > Does that mean the ansible list wasn't the final list, or that the final
          > votes for who won on that list are still to come?

          Final votes are still to come.

          it seems to unpick (like a Gene Wolfe novel) from something
          > that, on first reading seemed light and funny and almost an exercise in
          > pastiche (Hope Mirrlees, Dunsany, Cabell, jack Vance, maybe E. Nesbit) to something that seemed to get deeper and more intricate with each reading.

          I'm a fan of Gene Wolfe myself. What have you read by him?

          >I thought it very appropriate too that the
          > awards nominated the illustrated edition - I'm sure JRRT would have >liked something like that.

          You may be right. The illos were neat, and really give a sense of
          whimsy.

          > No interest in the Lord of the Rings movies. My head has not yet managed to expunge the taste of the BBC Narnia films.

          Are you talking about the Wonderworks version, or the animated ones?
          ---djb.