Re: [mythsoc] Re: it's not in Tolkien

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 84 , May 11 2:27 AM
      Hi Lynn & colleagues:

      Maybe this will put everyone off their feed:

      I remember someone in 2002 or so referring to
      the depiction of Sauron's Eye as resembling "A
      Flaming V (initial for a female body part)".

      Too Many Cocker Spaniels in the clouds for my
      tastes... Grandpa J.R.R.T. would have had a spoon
      way down his throat by now.

      I just leaned back & savored the movies: shining on
      the scholastic lacks and savoring the artistic
      achievements, hoping they would be lures for future
      Mythopoeics. But I never got to go to Grad School, so
      maybe my insights aren't all that formidable.

      Apologies, Bonnie
      *******************
      --- lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      > I kind of liked the "searchlight" effect (especially
      > at the end, in
      > the destruction) as a purely VISUAL image. It would
      > be stupid in the
      > book, but it did communicate the idea of Sauron's
      > restless, ceaseless
      > searching.
      >
      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Bratman
      > <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > If Sauron The Disembodied Eyeball ever got the
      > Ring back, how would
      > he wear it?
      >

      > As a halo?!
      >
      > -- Lynn --
      >
      > (re: Jackson and horror films, my first complaint
      > was about PJ's
      > fixation on the bad dental work of orcs...)

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25 4:28 PM
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!